Super League: Hull KR 22-20 Wigan Warriors

Hull KR v Wigan Warriors
Wigan Warriors were unbeaten against Hull KR last season
Hull KR (6) 22
Tries: Sio 2, Allgood, Dixon Goals: Mantellato 3
Wigan Warriors (14) 20
Tries: Burgess, Mossop, Charnley, Williams Goals: Smith 2

Hull KR came from 14 points down to beat Wigan Warriors and claim their first win of the Super League campaign.

The hosts opened the scoring through Ken Sio's converted try but Wigan then came alive.

Joe Burgess, Lee Mossop and Josh Charnley all crossed before the break and George Williams added a fourth to make it 20-6.

But Sio scored his second and Mitch Allgood and Kieran Dixon also went over to complete the comeback.

Rovers had lost their opening two games of the season against Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield, while Warriors had grabbed a draw against Widnes and a win over Huddersfield.

But the visitors showed signs of a hangover from their World Club Challenge defeat by Brisbane and were made to pay for numerous mistakes.

Ken Sio of celebrates his opening try with Tyrone McCarthy
Ken Sio (l) opened the scoring for Hull KR against Wigan Warriors

Sydney-bound winger Burgess was at fault for Hull KR's opener, when he hesitated on Darrell Goulding's grubber kick and Sio touched down, with Josh Mantellato converting.

But Wigan turned the game on its head with three tries in 13 minutes - Burgess touched down in the corner, Mossop took a more direct route through the middle and England winger Charnley grabbed a bouncing ball and went round Mantellato.

And they bagged their fourth within a minute of the re-start, Williams finishing off a break by Burgess before Matty Smith landed his second goal.

But Hull KR came back fighting, Sio taking on Goulding's pass to collect his second try before prop Allgood crashed over and Mantellato converted.

Wigan then conceded two goal-line drop-outs and the pressure told when substitute Dixon landed his first try for the club with only his second touch of the game.

Dixon's try levelled the scores and Mantellato won it with his third conversion.

Hull KR head coach Chris Chester told BBC Radio Humberside:

"We're absolutely delighted, I thought we were dominant for long parts of that game.

"We've had a lot of questions thrown at us - are we fit enough, are we tough enough? I think today proved that we are.

"That's the benchmark moving forward. That was really a win for team spirit."

Wigan coach Shaun Wane: "Coming to a tough place like this, you have to be at your best.

"We were a little bit dumb with the ball but, from the scraps we got, we scored tries.

"It's disappointing but I was very pleased with the effort. They showed some character backing up from last week and we looked smart when we put our plays on.

"We helped them by giving penalties away but I thought with the effort we put in, we should have got something out of the game."

Hull KR: Cockayne, Mantellato, Salter, Goulding, Sio, Campese, Kelly, Walker, Boudebza, Allgood, Blair, McCarthy, Burke.

Replacements: Larroyer, Green, Horne, Dixon.

Wigan: Hampshire, Charnley, Gelling, J. Tomkins, Burgess, Thornley, Smith, Sutton, McIlorum, Tautai, C. Farrell, L. Farrell, Bateman.

Replacements: Clubb, Patrick, Mossop, Powell.

Referee: Robert Hicks

Top Stories