Super League: Castleford Tigers 30-16 Salford Red Devils

Justin Carney
Justin Carney is Super League's leading try scorer this season with eight so far
Castleford (22) 30
Tries: Carney (2), Finn, Shenton, Wheeldon, Clare Goals: Gale 3
Salford (12) 16
Tries: Lee, Hauraki, Jones-Bishop Goals: Griffin 2

Castleford Tigers earned their second successive home win with something to spare against Salford Red Devils.

Tries from Justin Carney, Liam Finn, Michael Shenton and Scott Wheeldon put Cas 22-12 up at the break, with Tommy Lee and Weller Hauraki responding.

Both sides finished the first half with 12 men as Carney and Salford's Rangi Chase were sin-binned.

James Clare added Castleford's fifth try before Carney grabbed a second and Ben Jones-Bishop went over for Salford.

Castleford's second win of the season comes eight days after they were overpowered 22-0 by Huddersfield Giants.

For Salford, the result ended their run of three games without defeat.

Castleford made a bright start with Luke Dorn putting Carney over for his seventh try in five games before Finn added a second score for the hosts, with Luke Gale converting both to make it 12-0 on 12 minutes.

Former Tiger star Chase orchestrated Salford's response, sending a grubber kick through for Lee to dot down.

After resisting mounting Salford pressure, Clare set the Tigers up for a superb third try, breaking free on the wing before stepping back inside to find Finn, who put Shenton through with a looping pass to score.

Grant Millington's failure to take a high Michael Dobson kick allowed Hauraki to go over for the visitors for their second try.

A series of flare ups eventually led to the sin-binning of both Carney and Chase with 30 minutes played.

Clare helped protect Castleford's advantage, showing incredible pace to bring down Jones-Bishop as he looked to break away, before Wheeldon added a fourth try for the hosts.

Jones-Bishop fumbled a neat kick by Finn to gift Clare the easiest of touchdowns after the interval.

Finn then created Carney's second score for the night before Jones-Bishop crossed for a consolation effort 10 minutes from time.

Castleford coach Daryl Powell said:

"It was a tough effort and defensively we were superb. We started with a fair bit of intent and got some early points.

"Our kicking game was exceptional. We got back to our standard and the way we wanted to play the game. We had a lot more composure and confidence in the way we went about our kicking game.

"It was a crucial match and we needed to win it. Now it's about some consistency - that's the key thing. We haven't quite got that yet. We need to back-up performances."

Salford coach Iestyn Harris said:

"I don't think we got out of second gear if I'm honest. It is a team sport and you've got to work together as a cohesive unit to be able to get anywhere near your best and we didn't really do that.

"We were very individualised and we didn't string anything together which we have been working on for the past five weeks.

"It's disappointing because you can't come to Castleford and be under par and expect to get anything out the game. We were nowhere near."

Castleford Tigers: Dorn; Clare, Webster, Shenton, Carney; Finn, Gale; Millington, Milner, Cook, O Holmes, Moors, Massey.

Replacements: Roberts, Boyle, Wheeldon, McMeeken.

Salford Red Devils: Evalds; Jones-Bishop, J Griffin, Sa'u, Johnson; Chase, Dobson; Morley, Lee, Taylor, Hansen, Hauraki, J Walne.

Replacements: Fages, D. Griffin, Tasi, Walton.

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL).

Top Stories