Super League: Wigan Warriors 52-10 Wakefield Wildcats

Anthony Gelling
Anthony Gelling scored a hat-trick in Wigan's rout of Wakefield
Wigan Warriors (26) 52
Tries: L Farrell 2, Clubb, Manfredi 2, Gelling 3, Mossop Goals: Smith 8
Wakefield Wildcats (4) 10
Tries: Riley, McShane Goal: Hall

Wigan ran in nine tries as they thumped Super League's bottom side Wakefield.

Liam Farrell, Tony Clubb, Dom Manfredi and Anthony Gelling all touched down for the Warriors before half-time, while Chris Riley crossed for the visitors as the hosts led 26-4.

Manfredi and Wildcats' Paul McShane exchanged tries before Farrell and Lee Mossop crossed to extend Wigan's lead.

Gelling then added two more of his own to complete his hat-trick and cap a dominant night for the hosts.

Injury-hit Wakefield, missing captain Danny Kirmond and half-back Tim Smith, were down to just 18 fit players for the trip and looked off the pace from the kick-off.

They soon conceded their first try as George Williams kicked to the corner, Joe Burgess fumbled the ball but somehow managed to get the pass away to Farrell who touched down.

Matty Smith added the extras and then a penalty from just five metres out, before Clubb weaved his way past two defenders for a converted try.

The now-rampant Warriors crossed the whitewash again midway through the half as Manfredi powered over and former Salford man Smith converted from the touchline for his fourth goal.

Wakefield's season in freefall
After winning their opening two matches of the Super League campaign against Castleford and Hull KR, Wildcats have now lost five on the spin, conceding 198 points in the process.

With the hosts looking as if they could score at will, Wakefield launched their first meaningful attack of the game and Riley touched down in the corner following a clever dummy by replacement McShane to make it 20-4.

However, the lead was soon back to 20 points just before the break as Gelling intercepted Jordan Hand's wayward offload and raced through to score.

The second-half saw Shaun Wane's men, who had won only two of their first six Super League matches in 2015, continue their ruthless try-scoring as Manfredi finished off a flowing passing move, before Wakefield hooker McShane bundled over to reduce the arrears.

The visitors' joy was short-lived as Warriors scored two tries in as many minutes just before the hour mark.

Mossop barged his way over the line for Wigan's sixth try of the night and moments later Farrell latched onto Dan Sarginson's penalty tap and raced 40 metres to the line.

Gelling added another two for his hat-trick to take the Warriors past the 50-point mark for the first time this season and condemn Wakefield to a fifth straight defeat.

Wigan Warriors coach Shaun Wane:

"I was pleased. When we stuck to the system we tested them and we know when we do that we are at our best. We were far from full strength but they were busted.

"I am not going to get carried away. It was a busted Wakefield team. It will be a different challenge for us next week we are not going to be patting ourselves on the back all week on that performance.

"We just did a real professional performance. There is loads of improvement in us yet."

Wakefield coach James Webster:

"We did some good things well but were well and truly short in a couple of others. That is to be expected. We were well and truly outmatched. We were lacking experience today but I thought we tried hard.

"We are struggling to train well and prepare for games because we just don't have enough troops. We probably had 11 people training the other day and that will probably continue this week and into the next game."

Wigan Warriors: Hampshire; Manfredi, Gelling, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Mossop, McIlorum, Clubb, J Tomkins, L Farrell, Bateman.

Replacements: Tautai, Patrick, L Tomkins, C Farrell.

Wakefield Wildcats: Owen; Riley, Arundel, Collis, Johnstone; Sammut, Hall; Scruton, Washbrook, Griffin, Lauitiiti, Ryan, Smith.

Replacements: McShane, Simon, Crowther, Hand.

Referee: George Stokes

Attendance: 10,787