Super League: Hull FC 6-20 Hull KR

Kieran Dixon runs with the ball
Kieran Dixon scored Hull KR's second try in their derby win over Hull FC
First Utility Super League
Hull FC (6) 6
Tries: Pryce Goals: Rankin
Hull KR (18) 20
Tries: Campese, Dixon, Lunt Goals: Mantellato 4

Hull Kingston Rovers climbed to fourth in Super League with a well-deserved victory over Hull FC in the 224th city derby at the KC Stadium.

Terry Campese gave the Robins the perfect start before the lively Kieran Dixon extended their lead.

Leon Pryce pulled a try back but Shaun Lunt crashed over just before the break to give Rovers an 18-6 half-time lead.

With the home side struggling to make chances, Rovers' Josh Mantellato kicked the only points of the second half.

Although points proved hard to come by after the break, the Robins remained well on top against a Hull FC side lacking confidence in possession and any sort of cutting edge.

Hull FC coach Lee Radford has his work cut out ahead of Monday's trip to St Helens after a display in which his side's attacking efforts were largely predictable and straightforward to repel.

Hull KR fans
Hull KR fans enjoyed a night to remember at the KC Stadium

By contrast, Hull KR were vibrant in attack, with Campese's opening score setting the tone after a fine run from Dixon set up the opportunity for the Australian stand-off to crash over.

Hull FC did put their rivals under pressure for a time but with a kicking game that was well below standard, the Robins absorbed their one-out attacks before cutting free to score a second through Dixon, who raced 30m to the line.

Dixon made an error as he spilled the ball while bringing it out of his in-goal area to allow Pryce to give Hull FC hope - although replays suggested the Hull KR man may have grounded the ball in the field of play.

But a poor error from Fetuli Talanoa, with the Hull FC winger knocking on a high ball, gifted a try for Lunt which put the visitors into a commanding lead.

A brief opening salvo aside, Hull FC never really got going as an attacking force in the second period and Rovers managed to keep their opponents at arm's length, with Mantellato's 57th-minute penalty putting his side three scores clear.

That task always looked beyond Hull FC, with the game over as a contest well before the final hooter went with the visitors again on the attack.

Hull FC coach Lee Radford told BBC Radio Humberside:

"It's hugely disappointing for the coach, the owner and the group.

"Possession-wise and territory-wise we bombarded them in the first half and they've come up with three sets down our end and scored three tries.

"We've got to be tougher on ourselves than that. You have to withstand that because if you keep the pressure on, the game swings in your favour and you get a result.

"At the moment we're crumbling when the first thing goes against us and that's something we have got to change."

Hull KR coach Chris Chester told BBC Radio Humberside:

"I thought we were dominant from minute one to minute 80, we kept turning up for each other defensively and we probably created enough opportunities to win two or three games.

"I was really pleased with the effort and commitment. It gives us a lot of confidence going into Monday and we're really happy.

"They put us under pressure but we forced them into some mistakes as well. Hull FC are a good side but we were just a bit better tonight."

Hull: Shaul, Lineham, Michaels, Logan, Talanoa, Pryce, Rankin, Paea, Houghton, Watts, Hadley, Minichiello, Westerman.

Replacements: Bowden, Paleaaesina, Thompson, Cunningham.

Hull KR: Dixon, Mantellato, Welham, Goulding, Sio, Campese, Kelly, Walker, Lunt, Allgood, Blair, Horne, McCarthy.

Replacements: Cockayne, Larroyer, Donaldson, Burke.

Att: 20,507

Referee: Richard Silverwood (RFL)

Top Stories