Challenge Cup: Dewsbury Rams 10-52 Warrington Wolves

Warrington's Chris Bridge
Chris Bridge was taking over as Wire kicker as Stefan Ratchford was out injured
Ladbrokes Challenge Cup
Dewsbury (8) 10
Tries: Farrell Goals: Delaney 3
Warrington (26) 52
Tries: Penny 2, Currie 2, Dwyer, Atkins, Sims, Patton, Bridge, Myler Goals: Bridge 6

Super League side Warrington proved far too strong for Championship side Dewsbury as they reached the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup.

The eight-time winners ran in 10 tries, from which centre Bridge, who also scored a second-half try, kicked six conversions.

The recalled Brad Dwyer, Ryan Atkins, Ashton Sims, Ben Currie and Declan Patton crossed before the break.

Kevin Penny (2), Bridge, Richie Myler also scored and Currie got his second.

Challenge Cup history
Dewsbury have twice won the Challenge Cup before - but never at Wembley. Their first win, 8-5 against Oldham in 1912, was at Headingley. Their second triumph, 16-15 on aggregate against Leeds during the Second World War, came over two legs at Crown Flatt and Headingley. On their only visit to Wembley in 1929, they lost 13-2 to Wigan.
Warrington have won the competition eight times, three of them in the last six seasons ( 2009, 2010 and 2012, the latter two both against Leeds).

Dewsbury, who managed a first-half penalty from James Delaney, crossed the visitors' line just once, just after the half-hour mark.

Loose forward Joel Farrell's try was converted by Delaney, who added a third successful kick with the final score of the game in the last minute.

The Rams, fifth in the Championship, were missing several players, while Brett Seymour and Wayne Godwin were cup-tied.

But Warrington, fifth in Super League, were without their first-choice kicker, stand-off Stefan Ratchford.

Wire also rested veteran hooker Micky Higham, who had a transfer bid from promotion chasing Leigh turned down during the week, being replaced by Dwyer, who has been recalled from a season-long loan at London Broncos

Warrington first team coach Richard Agar:

"We had to overcome the loss of two wingers early doors and had a little disruption as a result but, for long periods, we played some pretty good football. We probably got a bit loose towards the end of both halves and conceded a few penalties.

"Joel Monaghan felt a twinge during the warm-up and then again in the opening stages of the game so, at 26-2, we didn't feel we needed to keep him on. Gene Ormsby also picked up a head knock so we played with a two-man rotation for much of the game.

"Micky Higham will have further meetings with (head coach) Tony Smith this week to try and sort things out. You could say he was rested. It's been a difficult week with some of the stuff that has gone on.

"With Brad Dwyer coming back, we didn't feel that Micky was in the right place to play tonight. But I thought Brad was terrific and probably our best player. He was very energetic around the ruck."

Dewsbury Rams coach Glenn Morrison:

"We've had 14 players unavailable whether they be injured or cup-tied, against a top Super League side and we had two young half backs on debut, one of whom has only been at the club a week, so they put up a great performance.

"Warrington got on a roll at one stage when they scored two or three quick tries and they could have turned it up and it shows the spirit and character of the club here that we got back into an arm wrestle and kept ourselves in the game.

"They put 80 points on a Super League side the other week and they came with a full strength side, showing respect for us, which is great.

"It shows that we are doing some good things. I was very disappointed that we had so many regulars out but I'm very proud of the boys."

Dewsbury: Forsyth; Grant, Beckett, Dunn, Scott; Glover, Delaney; Haggerty, Wright, Smith, Hale, T Adamson, Farrell.

Replacements: McLocklan, Spicer, Hepworth, Aizue.

Warrington: Penny; Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Ormsby; Patton, Myler; Hill, Dwyer, Sims, Currie, Westwood, Harrison.

Replacements: Laithwaite, O'Brien, England, G King.

Attendance: 4,677.

Referee: Matthew Thomason (RFL).

Top Stories