Super League: Catalans Dragons 22-22 Huddersfield Giants

By Shamoon HafezBBC Sport at St James' Park
Giants back row forward Jack Hughes is held up by Catalan Dragons' Zeb Taia
Second-row forward Zeb Taia is Catalan Dragons' top try scorer this season, with 11 to his name
First Utility Super League
Catalans Dragons (0) 22
Tries: Carney 2, Pelissier, Taia Goals: Dureau 3
Huddersfield (10) 22
Tries: Broughton 2, McGillvary Goals: Brough 5

Danny Brough held his nerve to convert Jermaine McGillvary's last-minute try to earn Huddersfield a thrilling draw with Catalans Dragons on Tyneside.

The Giants were 16-0 up four minutes into the second half after the second of two tries from winger Jodie Broughton, allied to four Brough kicks.

After Eloi Pelissier's try got them going, Catalans then scored three more through Todd Carney (2) and Zeb Taia.

But McGillvary's try made it 22-20 and Brough levelled from the touchline.

In the fourth game of Magic Weekend at St James' Park, playing conditions for the two sides had changed from Saturday, as the sunny weather gave way to rain.

Both sides struggled early on, but the first try eventually came on 26 minutes through Broughton, who collected Brough's high kick to cross.

As if by Magic . . .
Huddersfield Giants and Catalans Dragons had never previously met at Magic Weekend.

Brough added two penalties to earn a 10-0 half-time lead. And, as the sun started to shine through in the second half, so did the sublime rugby.

Huddersfield's second try was stunning. Brough launched an aerial kick, Jake Connor rose highest and, in one motion, the youngster caught, spun and offloaded to Broughton, who dived over.

It took the Dragons almost an hour to launch their first meaningful attack, from which they scored when Pelissier collected Ian Henderson's short pass to touch down. Having regained their confidence, Catalans then scored three tries in 10 minutes.

Australian Carney barged through the Giants back line, then Taia's powerful running proved to be too much for the Giants defence, leaving Scott Dureau to successfully convert for a third time to put the Dragons 18-16 in front.

Carney thought he had secured victory with his second try, but Huddersfield's late rally earned them a point.

Catalans Dragons coach Laurent Frayssinous:

"It was a point lost for us. We deserved to win. We gained some momentum and came back into the game.

"There were some strange decisions [from the referee] but the boys had a dig after being 16-0 down.

"I am proud of how we came back against a good Huddersfield side. Todd Carney was a big reason why we came back into the game."

Huddersfield head coach Paul Anderson:

"I just asked the question in the changing room. Is that a point won or lost? It was a point lost.

"We were pathetic in the second half. Catalans started playing and they ran through us at will. It was not good enough.

"But I did praise them for coming back into it."

Catalans: Escare; Oldfield, Gigot, Tonga, Yaha; Carney, Dureau; Elima, Henderson, Casty, Taia, Whitehead, Baitieri.

Replacements: Anderson, Mounis, Pelissier, Bousquet.

Huddersfield: Grix; McGillvary, Murphy, Connor, Broughton; Brough, Wood; Kopczak, Robinson, Huby, Wardle, Hughes, Ferres.

Replacements: Crabtree, Ta'ai, Mullally, Leeming.

Referee: Ben Thaler (RFL).