Super League: Warrington Wolves 26-18 Catalans Dragons

Ben Currie
Currie scored twice to keep Warrington in the hunt for the top four
Warrington (12) 26
Tries: Currie 2, Atkins 2, Hill Goals: O'Brien 3
Catalans (6) 18
Tries: Gigot, Pelissier, Whitehead Goals: Dureau 3

Warrington Wolves continued Catalans Dragons' disappointing away form with a scrappy five-try victory.

Catalans have won just once on their travels, at Wakefield, this season and despite taking the lead through Tony Gigot's try, trailed 12-6 at the break.

Ben Currie and Ryan Atkins set up that lead, that Eloi Pelissier and Elliott Whitehead overhauled after half-time.

However, after Escare failed to finish a Dragons break, Atkins, Hill and Currie scored as Wolves held out.

Errors led to much of the try-scoring on both sides, starting when Whitehead's tackle saw Stefan Ratchford lose the ball for Gigot to pounce.

The home side responded well, as Currie took advantage of sloppy defence and slick hands to cross on the left, and Atkins gathered a pass from Daryl Clark to go over from a similar position for try two.

After the break, Catalans enjoyed a purple patch, with a smart dummy half scoot score from Pelissier and Whitehead's try from close range putting the visitors ahead again.

They had a great opportunity to extend the lead when Escare broke clear, but he spilled when well placed and Warrington punished the error at the other end with a rapid right-to-left move capped by Atkins.

Dragons hooker Ian Henderson was penalised for interference at the ruck and Hill's footwork took him through ragged cover.

Currie's score was the coup de grace as the Wolves clinched two precious points and extended the Dragons' away hoodoo.

Warrington head coach Tony Smith:

"I'm really proud of my boys to hang in there and dig in and scramble like they did when we were broken. We scrambled well I thought and that was a good part of our game.

"I thought both sides were scrappy with the ball and defensively and that's what you get when you have games in quick succession after short turnarounds and when you have too many they catch up on you and you get scrappy games like we did tonight.

"We held onto the ball better than them in the second half and that was the message at half time that whoever hung onto the ball the longest was probably going to win."

Catalans head coach Laurent Frayssinous:

"We talked about creating opportunities and we did well against a good team like Warrington away from home but couldn't finish them. We earned the right to play tonight but not the right to win.

"We competed very well in some areas but in the small details we were not good enough especially when you break the line and don't take the opportunities.

"There were a few areas we were not good enough but all the basics of footy we did well considering all the injuries we have."

Warrington: Ratchford, Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Ormsby; O'Brien, Myler, Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Westwood, Harrison.

Replacements: Laithwaite, England, Dwyer, G. King.

Catalans Dragons: Escare; Oldfield, Gigot, Pomeroy, Yaha; Robin, Dureau; Elima, Henderson, Casty, Taia, Whitehead, Baitieri.

Replacements: Anderson, Pelissier, Bousquet, Maria.

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL)

Top Stories