Super League: Wigan Warriors 26-24 Leeds Rhinos

Wigan celebrate skipper Sean O'Loughlin's first-half try
Wigan celebrate skipper Sean O'Loughlin's first-half try
Wigan (18) 26
Tries: Farrell, O'Loughlin, Bowen, Charnley Goals: Smith 5
Leeds (12) 24
Tries: Aiton, Singleton, Handley, Burrow Goals: Sinfield 4

Matty Smith kicked a late penalty to give Wigan victory over Super League leaders Leeds at the DW Stadium.

Scrum-half Smith also converted tries from Liam Farrell, Sean O'Loughlin, Matty Bowen and Josh Charnley.

Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield also kicked four conversions - after tries from Paul Aiton, Brad Singleton, Ash Handley and Rob Burrow.

But the Warriors went second, two points behind the Rhinos, with their 10th successive home win of the season.

Leeds had come from 24-12 down 14 minutes into the second half to level, but Aiton gave away the penalty that allowed Smith to add the decisive two-pointer.

Aiton had earlier dived over for the evening's first converted try when Wigan's defence was caught out in the evening sunshine, but the home side quickly hit back with two scores of their own.

Wigan 2-1 up in 2015
Leeds beat Wigan 26-14 at Headingley in March, but the Warriors won 27-12 at Magic Weekend in their last meeting in May, before enjoying this more hard-fought victory.
Wigan have now beaten Leeds on all of the Rhinos' past four visits to the DW Stadium.

From Joe Burgess's brilliant kick inside, Farrell raced over to the left of the posts, before O'Loughlin pounced three minutes later for the second, Smith adding the extras for both.

Singleton's try, also converted by Sinfield, levelled the scores again before Bowen's converted try put Wigan back in front at the break.

Leeds had cause to bemoan their luck when Danny McGuire's try was disallowed for offside, as they did when Wigan scored again early in the second half.

Smith got away with a knock-on before putting in the kick that allowed England winger Charnley, only playing because of injury to Dom Manfredi, to cross in the right corner.

At 24-12 up, Smith having converted both tries, it looked a long way back for Leeds, but they hit back first through youngster Handley before Burrow darted through three minutes from time.

But Smith kept his nerve from 45 metres out to settle the outcome.

Wigan coach Shaun Wane:

"We bombed two dead-set tries in the second half with poor skill but overall I'm happy with the win.

"It's been a real tough week and it was nice to get a win against the best team in the competition.

"Credit to them, when they go into offload mode, they're a fantastic team. They're the best team in the competition but we were much improved."

Leeds coach Brian McDermott:

"I thought that was a try [Danny McGuire's offside decision]. The build-up was absolutely sensational and had it been allowed, we'd have scored the best try ever.

"It was really disappointing that try was not awarded but that's not the reason we lost.

"In the first half Wigan had a fair amount of momentum and ultimately that was where it was won and lost."

Wigan: Bowen; Charnley, Bateman, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, Tomkins, L Farrell, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Clubb, Mossop, Tautai, Patrick.

Leeds: Watkins; Handley, Keinhorst, Moon, Hall; Sinfield, McGuire; Leuluai, Aiton, Peacock, Delaney, Ablett, Cuthbertson.

Replacements: Burrow, Singleton, Walters, Yates.

Referee: Richard Silverwood (RFL).

Liam Farrell claimed Wigan's first try - his eighth of the season
Liam Farrell claimed Wigan's first try - his eighth of the season
Danny McGuire had a first-half disallowed at the DW Stadium
The game hinged on Danny McGuire's disallowed first-half try at the DW Stadium

Top Stories