Super League: Salford Red Devils 31-18 Hull KR

Ben Jones-Bishop
Ben Jones-Bishop has now scored 12 tries in his 16 appearances this season
First Utility Super League
Salford (4) 31
Tries: Jones-Bishop 2, J Griffin, Hauraki, Fages, Evalds Goals: Dobson 4 Drop goals: Dobson
Hull KR (18) 18
Tries: McCarthy, Kelly 2 Goals: Mantellato 3

Salford scored five unanswered second-half tries to come back from 14 points down and beat Hull KR.

Tyrone McCarthy and two touchdowns from Albert Kelly gave the Robins a 18-4 lead at the break, with Ben Jones-Bishop crossing for Salford.

But the hosts raised their game and Josh Griffin, Weller Hauraki and Jones-Bishop's second made it all square.

A flowing move saw Salford stand-off Theo Fages touch down under the posts before Niall Evalds sealed the win.

The victory kept the Red Devils' slim top-eight hopes alive, but they remain a point behind Hull KR in 11th.

Chris Chester's side started brightly and an excellent angle by McCarthy from Kelly's pass gave the visitors an early lead, with Salford responding as Jones-Bishop crossed out wide.

Hull sweet Hull...
Hull KR have not got a point outside of Hull this season with their only away win coming at local rivals Hull FC.

Kelly then touched down himself as he barged through two defenders, but the hosts were given a boost when forward Kevin Larroyer was sin-binned.

Despite the man disadvantage, Hull KR scored again as Kelly latched onto Ben Cockayne's kick through - his 16th try of the season.

Salford, who were led by assistant coach Ian Watson for second week in a row with the future of head coach Iestyn Harris still in doubt, got themselves back in the match after half-time when Griffin broke through after a clever Cory Paterson pass.

They continued the pressure and second-row Hauraki reached Michael Dobson's grubber to touch down before Jones-Bishop's second levelled it up at 18-18 with 15 minutes left.

After Josh Mantellato missed a late penalty attempt for Hull KR, Fages was sent through by Hauraki and Evalds added gloss to the victory by racing through a tired defence.

Salford assistant coach Ian Watson told BBC Radio Manchester:

"There were a lot of people that put their bodies on the line and stuck their hand up.

"I thought our defence was poor in the first-half and was something we needed to fix up.

"It was about attitude and desire - they've stood up and got their rewards for that."

Hull KR head coach Chris Chester said:

"We put ourselves in a really strong position at half time but our contact wasn't good enough in the second-half.

"We panicked but were the less dominant side over the 80 minutes.

"Two wins will still get us in the top eight but we are making it difficult for ourselves."

Salford: Evalds, Jones-Bishop, Sa'u, J Griffin, Caton-Brown, Fages, Dobson; Taylor, Tomkins, Morley, J Walne, Hauraki, G. Griffin.

Replacements: Hood, Paterson, Krasniqi, D. Griffin.

Hull KR: Cockayne, Mantellato, Welham, Salter, Sio, Blair, Kelly; Walker, Lunt, Tilse, Larroyer, McCarthy, Donaldson.

Replacements: Cox, Green, Boudebza, Greenwood.

Sin bin: Larroyer (34)

Attendance: 4,500

Referee: Mr J Child (RFL)