Super League Super 8s: Castleford Tigers 36-30 Hull FC

Michael Shenton
Michael Shenton's second try of the game was the 150th of his career
First Utility Super League - Super 8s
Castleford (16) 36
Tries: Shenton 4, Gale, Gibson Goals: Gale 6
Hull FC (18) 30
Tries: Whiting, Rankin, Michaels, Lineham, Logan Goals: Sneyd 5

Michael Shenton scored four tries as Castleford moved level on points with fourth-placed Huddersfield in Super League with victory over Hull.

Centre Shenton ran in a first-half hat-trick to revive the Tigers, who trailed 12-0 after five minutes through scores from Richard Whiting and Jordan Rankin.

Steve Michaels and Tom Lineham restored Hull's lead.

But Shenton's fourth plus scores from Luke Gale and Ashley Gibson helped Cas win a thriller.

Jack Logan crossed for Hull with two minutes remaining to make it a nervy finale for the hosts, but Tigers held on to boost their hopes of a top-four finish and a place in the play-offs at the end of the Super 8s phase.

Hull, seventh in the table and six points off fourth place, had made the perfect start, Whiting and Rankin's quickfire converted tries seemingly giving them control, before Shenton's treble turned the game around.

The match-winner
Michael Shenton's four tries took his tally up to 13 for the season so far, having not crossed since 11 June.
His quadruple equalled the club record for the number of tries scored in a Super League game.

Michaels collected a superb pass from Marc Sneyd to score in the corner right on half-time, before Lineham ran the length of the field to extend Hull's lead after the break.

But Castleford were back in front just after the hour mark thanks to Shenton and Gale, before Shenton had a fifth score ruled out for a forward pass.

And when Gibson capped his 150th career appearance with a try, the win was secured, despite Logan's late consolation for Hull.

Castleford coach Daryl Powell: "I thought the resilience and character in the team was excellent, although we are clearly going to have to play better than that.

"The start made it really difficult for us. We got very cloudy in our heads after that and it took us a while to get back in the game and get some clarity in what we are doing.

"I thought we got rattled so much by the 12-0 scoreline that we were feeding off scraps to get back in the game which we did really well and that showed the character of the team.

"I thought we were the dominant side for most of the second half and it was a much better effort, although there were still some things where you thought we can be better than this."

Hull coach Lee Radford: "We are striving for fifth spot and if we get beyond that it's great. We will try and shake some teams up.

"I thought some of our effort was outstanding. When we got down their end of the field we looked a threat.

"I thought we defended well. I can't remember a try from Castleford coming from structured play. It was all off the back of our individual errors."

Castleford: Roberts; Gibson, Webster, Shenton, Carney; Finn, Gale; Lynch, McShane, Millington, Holmes, Moors, Massey.

Replacements: Milner, Cook, McMeeken, Springer.

Hull: Rankin; Lineham, Sa, Logan, Michaels; Sneyd, Abdull; Paea, Houghton, Watts, Whiting, Minichiello, Westerman.

Replacements: Thompson, Paleaaesina, Green, Yeaman.

Att: 6,760

Referee: Robert Hicks.

Top Stories