Super League: Warrington Wolves 0-28 Wigan Warriors

John Bateman
John Bateman joined Wigan from Bradford in 2014
First Utility Super League
Warrington Wolves (0) 0
Wigan Warriors (12) 28
Tries: Bateman 2, Farrell, Clubb, Gildart Goals: Bowen 4

Warrington's hopes of a Super League semi-final place are all but over after losing 28-0 at home to Wigan.

The visitors led 12-0 at the interval with tries from Liam Farrell and Tony Clubb, both converted by Matty Bowen.

John Bateman then went over twice in nine minutes to put the game out of the home side's reach by the hour mark.

Teenager Oliver Gildart crossed on his debut as Warrington were prevented from scoring at the Halliwell Jones Stadium for the first time.

Wigan took the lead when a kick through from George Williams was pounced on by Farrell, with Bowen adding the extras, but it was a try shrouded in controversy.

Initially given as "no try" on the field by referee Robert Hicks, the decision was overturned when the video referee adjudged that Warrington's Stefan Ratchford did not intentionally ground the ball moments earlier.

Bowen then created the second try with a clever run, before Matty Smith's inside pass set up Clubb to score moments after coming onto the field.

Wigan's 12-point lead at the break was stretched when Bateman scored two tries in quick succession.

The former Bradford forward firstly finished off a well-worked move from left to right, before going over from Dom Manfredi's tap-back after Bowen's perfect kick to the right corner.

Nineteen-year-old centre Gildart then raced in at the left corner to complete victory for Wigan, who are second in the table and remain within four points of leaders Leeds Rhinos.

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"It was a tough day, the second half was especially tough to watch. We needed to get some points on the board when we had field position in the first half.

"I didn't think there was much between the teams in the first half and Stefan still feels he grounded that ball but the video referee over-ruled the on-field referee.

"I thought we lacked composure and that's what Wigan are fantastic at taking advantage of. A couple of their tries in the second half were top-drawer stuff.

Wigan coach Shaun Wane:

"We played well and put a lot of things together. Our defence was very impressive and that was the main focus for me.

"I've just told the players that the way we attacked and the composure we had with the ball in those conditions set the benchmark for us."

Get all the key scores as they happen by adding rugby league push alerts in the BBC Sport app on your mobile phone or tablet.

Warrington: Ratchford; Penny, Wheeler, Atkins, Monaghan; Sandow, Myler; Hill, Clark, Sims, Westwood, Currie, Harrison.

Replacements: Dwyer, Asotasi, Philbin, King.

Wigan: Bowen; Charnley, Bateman, Gildart, Manfredi; Williams, Smith; Crosby, Powell, Flower, Tomkins, Farrell, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Clubb, Hampshire, Mossop, Sutton.

Attendance: 10,095.

Referee: Robert Hicks.