Super League: St Helens 16-32 Warrington Wolves

Roy Asotasi
Roy Asotasi was one of four Warrington players making their final appearance in blue and yellow
St Helens (6) 16
Tries: Greenwood, Swift, Flanagan Goals: Walsh 2
Warrington (14) 32
Tries: Johnson, Monaghan, Hill, Atkins, Asotasi, Penny Goals: Sandow 3, Monaghan

St Helens were denied the chance of a top two Super 8s finish as they lost at home to local rivals Warrington.

Despite leading with Joe Greenwood's early try, Saints were hit by six tries from Wire, who had five more disallowed - four of them for winger Kevin Penny.

Joel Monaghan and Roy Asotasi both scored on their farewell appearance.

Jack Johnson, Chris Hill, Ryan Atkins and winger Penny, who eventually got on the scoresheet in the final minute, were Warrington's other try scorers.

Chris Sandow added three conversions, while Monaghan added the extras to Penny's try with the game's final kick.

Farewell appearances for Warrington trio
Warrington captain Joel Monaghan, Catalans-bound Richie Myler and big forward Roy Asostasi all made final appearances. Of the Wire quartet leaving the Halliwell Jones, only Gareth O'Brien was missing.

Adam Swift and Mark Flanagan scored the home side's other two tries, Luke Walsh adding two conversions for Saints, who could have temporarily gone top had they won.

Instead, the reigning champions, missing Travis Burns and Man of Steel candidate Alex Walmsley from last week's derby win over Wigan, ensured a fourth-place finish - and an away tie in the semis.

Warrington led 14-6 at the break despite the first two of their five disallowed tries being chalked off.

Wire responded to Greenwood's converted opener when Sandow added the extras to Johnson's response four minutes later.

Kevin Penny's disallowed tries
2nd minute - Ryan Atkins push on Tommy Makinson's back
54th minute - Offside
70th minute - Knock-on by Penny
73rd minute - Another Ryan Atkins push on Tommy Makinson
80th minute - First try of the night with last play of the game

The visitors had already seen one Penny try chalked off, for Atkins' push in Tommy Makinson's back, when they had another turned down for Daryl Clark's knock-on as he slid over. But they kept their composure to lead with two unconverted tries just before the break from Monaghan and Hill.

Warrington saw daylight when Atkins' 50th-minute try, converted by Sandow, put them 20-6 up. But either side of another disallowed try for Penny, for offside, Saints scored twice.

Swift went over in the corner and, although Walsh missed the kick, he was successful when Flanagan crossed to reduce the deficit to four points. But, thanks to two more disallowed tries, one for a knock-on by Penny himself, the second for another Atkins push on Makinson, Saints were not put out of their misery until two tries in the final three minutes,

Asotasi and Penny, fresh from signing a new two-year deal on Wednesday, both ran in under the posts to complete Warrington's first win in four attempts against Saints this season.

St Helens assistant coach Jamahl Lolesi:

"We probably paid the price for last week's game against Wigan. That was a high intensity game and it took a massive toll on us. And Warrington played like they had nothing to lose.

"They are a good bunch of players and played with a lot of freedom. They've been playing well for three weeks and we tried to warn the boys.

"We started flat and struggled to get a hold in the game. When you get off to a slow start, it's really hard to claw your way back into the game. They fought really hard to get back in but all that energy cost us.

"I suppose you could call it a wake-up call. The boys' focus may have been on next week, I suppose that's just human nature."

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"I'd like to get back to the old days when the ref makes a decision and you get on with it. It was another 90-minute game wasn't it?

"It's become a bug-bear. A lot of people are getting bored of it. It breaks the momentum of our game and it really is a blight when they look at it six or seven times and still get it wrong.

"It was getting a bit risky there for us because Saints hang in there and I'm glad we ended up getting our just desserts. It was a nice way to finish, particularly for the players that are leaving.

"It's nice to back up a good performance from last week. That's probably what we've lacked at times this year, that consistency, but it shows it does matter whether you're in the finals or not."

St Helens: Quinlan; Makinson, Percival, Jones, Swift; Turner, Walsh; Amor, Roby, Savelio, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Greenwood, Wilkin.

Replacements: Vea, Masoe, Richards, Flanagan.

Warrington: Johnson; Penny, Ratchford, Atkins, Monaghan; Myler, Sandow; Hill, Clark, Sims, Westwood, Currie, G King.

Replacements: Philbin, Dwyer, Asotasi, Harrison.

Attendance: 10,966.

Referee: James Child (RFL).