Super League: Hull Kingston Rovers 20-22 Hull FC

Steve Michaels
Hull FC winger Steve Michaels has scored four tries in six games this season
First Utility Super League
Hull KR (12) 20
Tries: Shaw, Sio, Thornley Goals: Mantellato 4
Hull FC (0) 22
Tries: Shaul, Houghton, Fonua, Michaels Goals: Sneyd 3

Hull FC came back from 20 points down with 18 minutes left to secure a dramatic win in the derby at Hull KR.

Rovers wing Ryan Shaw opened the scoring and Ken Sio's interception try and Josh Mantellato's two goals gave the hosts a 12-0 half-time lead.

Iain Thornley's score looked to have put Rovers in control but Jamie Shaul and Danny Houghton gave Hull FC hope.

The Black and Whites crossed through Mahe Fonua and Steve Michaels as they completed a stunning late comeback.

Remember me?
In the first Super League Hull derby back in 2007 Hull KR's interim head coach James Webster and Hull FC boss Lee Radford were the opposing captains.

Hull KR looked to be heading for back-to-back wins under interim head coach James Webster when Thornley's try was added to by Mantellato's penalty kick to put them 20-0 up on 58 minutes.

However, it was the West side of Hull who came out on top after Shaul's long-range score began a burst of four tries in the final quarter as the Black and Whites staged the biggest Hull derby comeback in the Super League era.

After Houghton capped a fine team move and Fonua burst over from close range, Australian winger Michaels side-stepped his way over five minutes from time.

That completed a fightback which means that Lee Radford's side have now won four of the last five Hull derby games.

Friday's Super League results
Salford 12-26 Catalans Dragons
St Helens 12-24 Wigan
Wakefield 36-22 Huddersfield
Warrington 28-10 Widnes
Good Friday's action as it happened

Hull KR head coach James Webster:

"I'm extremely proud of my players. For 60 minutes we did what we wanted to do, but we had nothing left.

"I felt sorry for the players who were screaming to come off, but had to stay on.

"I'm very disappointed we lost the game. People might have expected me to blame the players, but I'm not going to. We showed improvement and I can see we are moving in the right direction."

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford:

"We were outstanding without the ball for the first 60 minutes. We played a lot better when we were forced to push the pass. We looked a much better team.

"The penalty count at half-time was 7-3 and we knew that would even itself out and we'd get opportunities down their end of the field, and we took them.

"We want to be in the top four. We've only had one bad performance. We have defended well in the last two games and that should give us confidence going forward."

Hull KR: Cockayne; Sio, Shaw, Thornley, Mantellato; Blair, Kelly; Walker, Lawler, Tilse, Clarkson, Horne, Allgood.

Interchanges: Green, Greenwood, Mulhern, Boudebza.

Hull FC: Shaul; Michaels, Naughton, Fonua, Yeaman; Tuimavave, Sneyd; Taylor, Houghton, Watts, Pritchard, Minichiello, Ellis.

Interchanges: Paleaaesina, Green, Washbrook, Bowden.

Referee: Phil Bentham (RFL).

Top Stories