Super League: Widnes Vikings 24-34 Castleford Tigers

Denny Solomona
Denny Solomona crossed three times between the 25th and 42nd minutes to put Tigers in control
Widnes (18) 24
Tries: Ah Van, Leuluai, Thompson, White Cons: Bridge 4
Castleford (10) 34
Tries: Solomona 3, Boyle, Gale, McShane Cons: Gale 5

Castleford Tigers fought back from 18-0 down to earn victory over Widnes Vikings at the Select Security Stadium.

The hosts had lead early on with tries for Patrick Ah Van, Macgraff Leuluai and Corey Thompson, before a Denny Solomona hat-trick for Cas.

Ryan Boyle, Luke Gale and Paul McShane all crossed for Tigers after the break, but Lloyd White's late try could not spark a fightback for the home side.

Defeat extended early season leaders Widnes's losing run to four matches.

Victory saw Castleford win on the road for the first time since beating Hull FC 31-24 in February.

Gale added to his try with five conversions to contribute 14 of Castleford's points.

Widnes remain fifth, four points off top spot and one point above seventh-placed Tigers.

Widnes boss Denis Betts: "After the first five or 10 minutes we just went a little bit soft on ourselves.

"There was a bit of ill-discipline and areas of our game where we gave them field-position too easily.

"They had nothing to lose and they came back. It was a massively disappointing day.

"Defensively we were slack from the start. We just didn't control the ruck right through to the end of their sets."

Castleford head coach Daryl Powell: "I don't think we kicked the ball for half-an-hour and you know you're going to be in trouble if that happens.

"Widnes were playing pretty sharp and putting us under pressure and we just needed to get a foothold in the game really and complete some sets.

"I've rarely seen a changing room as buzzing at half-time with the players just talking about the game. They felt they had every chance of winning it, you could just sense it.

"We just needed to tidy our game up but at 18-0 it looked quite difficult to do."

Widnes: Hanbury; Thompson, Dean, Bridge, Ah Van; Mellor, Brown; O'Carroll, Heremaia, Dudson, Sa, Houston, Leuluai.

Replacements: Brooks, Gerrard, White, Whitley.

Castleford: Hampshire; Monaghan, Minikin, Webster, Solomona; Holmes, Gale; Lynch, Milner, Jewitt, Cook, McMeeken, Massey.

Replacements: McShane, Maher, Boyle, Springer.

Referee: Joe Cobb (RFL).