Super League: Warrington Wolves 12-19 Hull FC

Gene Ormsby scores for Warrington
Gene Ormsby gave Warrington an early lead against Super League leaders Hull FC
Warrington (10) 12
Tries: Ormsby, Sandow Goals: Gidley 2
Hull FC (12) 19
Tries: Talanoa, Minichiello, Ellis Goals: Sneyd 3 Drop-goal: Sneyd

Leaders Hull FC claimed their seventh straight Super League win with victory at fellow challengers Warrington.

Gene Ormsby gave Wolves an early lead but Fetuli Talanoa hit back for Hull.

Chris Sandow put the hosts back in front after Benjamin Jullien charged down Marc Sneyd's kick, but the Black and Whites led 12-10 at the break through Mark Minichiello.

Kurt Gidley's penalty levelled the score but Gareth Ellis' try and a late Sneyd drop-goal won the game for Hull.

Friday's other Super League reports
Hull KR 18-20 Wigan
Leeds 8-0 Salford

Warrington began the game in second place in the table knowing that victory would see them leapfrog Hull at the top on points difference, but instead they slip to third after Wigan secured a late win at Hull KR to climb above them.

Hull, meanwhile, are unbeaten since losing at Leeds on 15 April and have won 13 of their last 14 games in league and cup.

But although the meeting of the top two was high on intensity, it was strewn with errors as players of both sides struggled to keep hold of the ball in slippery conditions.

Both of Warrington's first-half scores were the result of Hull errors, while the Black and Whites were made to make work harder for their tries as slick passing sent Talanoa over in the corner, while Minichiello side-stepped past Stefan Ratchford to touch down.

Daryl Clark wasted the chance to put Warrington back in front after the break when he knocked on after Sneyd dropped a high kick before Ellis spun out of a tackle to score the game's decisive try.

Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"We were certainly not worthy of going top tonight. They deserve their win, I thought they were slightly better than us in their execution.

"I thought our defence was pretty good, we just didn't put any pressure on them and we turned the ball over too cheaply.

"We looked way off it in terms of our skills and we're going to address that. We're generally good at going away and rectifying things."

Hull FC coach Lee Radford:

"It was a horrible game, a poor advert for the top of the competition, but we're sat at the top so I'm not going to complain.

"It was bizarre, a really strange and scrappy affair, and we probably won't see that again for a long time. The players are as baffled as we are.

"If there's a positive, I thought we defended really well. We had to be physical on both edges and we conceded just two opportunist tries, which is obviously pleasing."

Warrington: Ratchford, Lineham, R. Evans, Atkins, Ormsby, Gidley, Sandow, Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Jullien, Westerman.

Replacements: Dwyer, G. King, Wilde, Bailey.

Hull: Shaul, Michaels, Fonua, Yeaman, Talanoa, Tuimavave, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Watts, Minichiello, Manu, Ellis.

Replacements: Green, Bowden, Pritchard, Washbrook.

Referee: James Child (RFL)

Attendance: 10,513

Top Stories