Super League: Castleford Tigers 26-42 Warrington Wolves

By Matt NewsumBBC Sport at Mend-A-Hose Jungle
Stefan Ratchford
Stefan Ratchford was one of Warrington's scorers against Castleford
Castleford (18) 26
Tries: Mariano, Solomona 4, Crooks Goals: Gale
Warrington (16) 42
Tries: Evans 2, Ratchford, Dwyer, Currie, King, Clark Goals: Gidley 3, Sandow 4

Warrington solidified their Super League top-four place with a second-half blitz of Castleford.

Both sides were assured of places in the top eight but with Catalans fading and St Helens finding form, the Wolves maintain their gap.

It was a close first period with Castleford going in 18-16 up thanks to a Denny Solomona hat-trick.

However, four tries to two in the second half ensured the points for the Wire.

With points taken forward into the Super 8s, Warrington's bid for Old Trafford remains well intact, but the Tigers' outside hopes of the play-offs look slim.

In sweltering conditions the loss of Grant Millington and then Luke Dorn to injury left the Tigers down on interchanges, and the visitors capitalised to keep up pressure.

Rhys Evans showed great pace for his two scores, while Tigers' Solomona went clear at the top of the try scorers, taking his tally to 30 in all competitions.

But the visitors won the ruck after half-time against a tiring Cas side, racking up tries from Brad Dwyer, Ben Currie, Toby King and ex-Tigers player Daryl Clark.

Cas managed a couple of consolations at the end with the game out of sight, with Solomona's fourth and Ben Crooks on the hooter.

Not even the return of Rangi Chase for his second spell at Cas could turn things around, although he showed glimmers of his class around Luke Gale in the halves to give fans hope for the next eight games.

Warrington head coach Tony Smith:

"To come here and get that scoreline against a dangerous team like Cas in those conditions, we're pleased.

"There are plenty of twists and turns yet. We've made some progress from two weeks ago - last week was better than the week before and this week we were better again.

"We were good with the ball but we tried to be a little flashy. We didn't think we were aggressive enough in defence and decided we were going to be a bit more aggressive in the second half and that showed.

"Brad Dwyer played a really good role for us. It doesn't give anyone a breather when Daryl (Clark) comes off and when Daryl came back, it really ripped it up a level."

Castleford head coach Daryl Powell:

"I thought we did a good job for 40 minutes but we were not good enough when it gets really tough.

"We conceded too many points, which is obviously disappointing. There were some defensive lapses that have haunted us too much this season.

"I thought we really challenged them at times and to be in front at half-time was a good effort but we needed to go on with it. We've got a little bit of work to do.

"I thought Rangi [Chase] went okay. He did some decent things. It's tough for him in his first game back with new combinations."

Castleford: Dorn, Hampshire, Crooks, Minikin, Solomona, McShane, Gale, Tickle, Milner, Patrick, O Holmes, Mariano, Moors.

Replacements: Millington, Chase, Cook, Springer.

Warrington: Ratchford, Russell, R Evans, Atkins, Lineham, Gidley, Sandow, Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Hughes, Westerman.

Replacements: T King, Dwyer, Westwood, Bailey.

Referee: Chris Kendall.

Top Stories