Super League: Warrington Wolves 30-12 Widnes Vikings

Kurt Gidley
Warrington's Kurt Gidley missed their win against Catalans after picking up an eye injury in their Challenge Cup final defeat by Hull FC
Super League
Warrington (20) 30
Tries: Hill, Sims, Smith, Philbin, Russell Goals: Gidley 5
Widnes (0) 12
Tries: Mellor, Thompson Goals: Thompson, White

Warrington Wolves comfortably beat local rivals Widnes Vikings to give themselves a points cushion at the top of Super League.

Chris Hill went over to give Warrington the lead while Ashton Sims extended the hosts' lead with half an hour gone.

Morgan Smith helped make it 18-0 while Joe Philbin crossed after the break.

Joe Mellor finally got Widnes off the mark but Matty Russell continued the rout before Corey Thompson ran in a late consolation try for the visitors.

The result means Warrington remain at the top of the Super League table with two games of the regular season left while Widnes remain in seventh place.

It was the second time in less than a week that Warrington had taken a comfortable half-time lead, having led Catalans Dragons 18-0 the break in their 26-22 win in Perpignan on Saturday.

Warrington, who had both Rhys Evans and Kurt Gidley back after they were ruled out for the trip to France with a hamstring injury and eye injury respectively, dominated much of the game but Thompson's late try cut the hosts' lead.

Victory for the Wire means they have now won their last six derby matches against Cheshire rivals Widnes at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Warrington Wolves head coach Tony Smith told BBC Radio Merseyside:

"We did some good things in the first half but second half I can't say we did.

"Throughout the game we were good defensively, but the first half we had some electrifying pieces of play.

"Matty Russell probably caught the eye tonight, Stefan Ratchford did well. Most of them were pretty good in the first-half but the second half a few went off the boil."

Widnes Vikings head coach Denis Betts told BBC Radio Merseyside:

"We were 20-0 down at half-time, we looked a bit flat, we got rolled. They scored some good tries and it wasn't a good second-half.

"We showed a bit more desire but they'd put the cue on the rack by then. We knew what was coming from Warrington.

"We want to be aside that competes every week - last week we go to Wigan and compete and survive, and week in week out that what you need."

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Russell, King, Atkins, Evans, Gidley, Patton, Hill, Dwyer, Sims, Currie, Hughes, King.

Replacements: Wilde, Smith, Bailey, Philbin.

Widnes Vikings: Hanbury, Thompson, Dean, Runciman, Ah Van, Mellor, Brown, Burke, White, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill.

Replacements: J Chapelhow, Dudson, Heremaia, Farrell.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.

Attendance: 10,488.

Top Stories