Super League: Warrington Wolves 22-22 Hull FC

Matty Russell
Matty Russell had not scored for Warrington this season before his treble
Betfred Super League
Warrington (8) 22
Tries: Russell 3, Clark Goals: Gidley 3
Hull FC (20) 22
Tries: Kelly, Connor, Shaul Goals: Sneyd 5

Matty Russell's hat-trick helped Warrington end their six-game Super League losing streak, but they remain winless in 2017 after an error-strewn draw with Hull FC.

Albert Kelly scored his eighth try in four games and Hull added two more scores to build a 20-8 half-time lead.

Russell added to his first-half double and Daryl Clark also touched down to give the hosts hope.

And Kurt Gidley's kick, one of three successful efforts, sealed a point.

Australian playmaker Gidley could have won it had he landed a drop goal, one of four missed between the two sides in a tense finish.

The result, although a relief for Warrington, was put clearly in perspective by the death of prop Dom Crosby's baby daughter Ada in midweek, which was respectfully marked by a minute's silence before kick-off.

Warrington needed character to reply after handing Hull the initiative before the break, but turned the screw towards the end as they chased down the visitors' total.

It was the second week running in which Hull built up a healthy first-half lead but fell away in the second, and although they got away with it in their win at Wigan, they could not hold out for victory at the Halliwell Jones.

Two of their tries were impressive intercepts, from Jake Connor and Jamie Shaul respectively, and while Kelly's try showcased his talents he was less effective after the break.

Warrington head Tony Smith: "I've got to be happy about our second half. There was a lot of improvement, in the second half in particular. In the first half we were still way too guilty of self-inflicted harm.

"I thought Hull were a bit flat today and we let them off the hook in the first half - we gave them most of their points, either through penalties or intercepts.

"I said we just needed to be pretty strong and basic today to get a decent result and I wasn't far wrong. The boys are working hard and competing and they've got desire and unity.

"We've still got a few rough edges got to knock off and, when we do that, we will be getting the two points and not the one."

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford: "At the end it was a point gained. It was a really bizarre game.

"I was over the moon with the lead we built up, but in the second period we very much went in to our our shells and end up hanging on for dear life.

"It was very similar to last week and we're going to have to address that really sharp. We can't build a lead up and hand it back to the opposition."

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford; Russell, T. King, Atkins, Evans; Brown, Gidley; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Westwood, Hughes, Westerman.

Replacements: Sims, Dwyer, G. King, Philbin.

Hull FC: Shaul; Fonua, Connor, Griffin, Michaels; Kelly, Sneyd, Taylor, Washbrook, Bowden, Manu, Minichiello, Ellis.

Replacements: Litten, Thompson, Watts, Turgut.

Referee: Jack Smith (RFL)

Top Stories