Super League: Hull FC 18-54 Salford Red Devils

Justin Carney
Justin Carney has scored two tries in seven Super League games this season
Betfred Super League
Hull FC (8) 18
Tries: Michaels 2, Shaul Goals: Sneyd 3
Salford (34) 54
Tries: Lui, Johnson 2, Kopczak 2, Sa'u, Carney, Dobson, Griffin, Murdoch-Masila Goals: Dobson 3, O'Brien 4

Salford recorded their biggest-ever win over Hull FC with a dominant performance at the KCOM Stadium.

Shaun Michaels' try put Hull in front, but the visitors scored seven tries to hold a 26-point lead at half-time.

Greg Johnson and Craig Kopczak both crossed twice, while Robert Lui, Junior Sa'u and Justin Carney also went over before the break.

Michaels and Jamie Shaul touched down for the hosts, but three further Salford tries ended Hull's hopes.

Michael Dobson, George Griffin and Ben Murdoch-Masila crossed late on to emphasise the Red Devils' dominance.

Salford's previous biggest win against Hull had been a 38-18 victory in front of their own fans in 1999.

Their new record margin of victory came in spite of their ill discipline, the visitors having been penalised 13 times by referee Gareth Hewer.

Justin Carney was sent to the sin-bin after Salford were issued a team warning for their persistent infringements, but Hull were unable to take full advantage, Dobson's try coming when the visitors were down to 12 men.

Hull, already without Man of Steel Danny Houghton and leading try scorer Albert Kelly, were further hampered by the loss of Gareth Ellis and Scott Taylor before kick-off.

The hosts also saw two players sent to the sin-bin, with Marc Sneyd shown a yellow card for a professional foul before half-time and Shaul receiving the same punishment late in the second period.

Salford climb to second in the early Super League table, with Hull sliding down to fourth place.

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford:

"It's obviously hugely disappointing. For five minutes in the first half we responded to how we defended last week, but then for the following 35 we rolled back into our insecure shell where we looked like we could be broken at any period.

"It hurts. I'm struggling to find any positives. It was a really poor performance and one we will have to address.

"The players who were out were replaced with good players, that's 100 per cent not an excuse. We had a good enough 17 out there to get a result.

"We've got to look at why the collapse was there after going 8-0 ahead and we'll look to correct that this week. The world doesn't stop turning, we've just got to make sure we get a response."

Salford head coach Ian Watson:

"It's where we want to be, challenging up there. What has got us there is our team ethic, our hard work and our togetherness and we've got to keep that as our core feature.

"We weren't too happy with our defence at certain points. We weren't as good as we had been defensively and it's something we need to look at because we pride on ourselves on our defence to make sure we are a top team.

"Our attack was great, once we got into a groove, we didn't feel there was any problems. We got our continuity back and we played really well, which was great to see."

Hull FC: Shaul; Michaels, Fonua, Griffin, Talanoa; Connor, Sneyd; Bowden, Washbrook, Watts, Manu, Minichiello, Thompson.

Replacements: Green, Turgut, Fash, Litten.

Sin-Bin: Sneyd (35), Shaul (67).

Salford Red Devils: O'Brien; Carney, Sa'u, Welham, Johnson; Lui, Dobson; Mossop, Tomkins, Tasi, Murdoch-Masila, Jones, Flanagan.

Replacements: Kopczak, Griffin, Walne, Carney.

Sin-Bin: Carney (59).

Attendance: 11,016

Referee: Gareth Hewer (RFL).

Top Stories