Super League: Warrington Wolves 26-24 Huddersfield Giants

Warrington's Daryl Clark
Daryl Clark scored the the second of Wire's five tries on his return from injury
Betfred Super League
Warrington (16) 26
Tries: Livett, Clark, Gidley, Evans, King Goals: Patton 3
Huddersfield (12) 24
Tries: McIntosh, Mamo, Brough, McGillvary, Goals: Brough 4

Warrington maintained their resurgence with a third straight win as they twice came from behind to beat Huddersfield.

Tries from Harvey Livett, Daryl Clark and Kurt Gidley gave Wire a slender 16-12 half-time lead.

Danny Brough then converted his own try, adding a penalty, as the Giants hit back to lead 20-16.

But two late Wire tries turned it round and, although Jermaine McGillvary scored in the corner, Brough could not add the extras from the touchline.

Having started the season with two wins from their first three games, the Giants have not won now in eight games since - and they drop to 11th, while last season's beaten finalists Warrington, who failed to win any of their first seven matches, rise two places to ninth.

Against his old club, Tony Smith's Warrington were ahead inside two minutes, in their first attack, when centre Livett scooped up a wayward Declan Patton pass and stepped inside the Giants cover for his first Super League try.

Fine handling between Brough and Jake Mamo allowed Darnell McIntosh to squeeze over in the corner to level at 4-4, but, having earlier been placed on report for a late challenge on Lee Gaskell, Warrington hooker Clark's try restored the hosts' lead, Patton converting.

Six minutes later the Giants were level again, with a try from Mamo after Kruise Leeming's fine midfield break - and Brough not only landed the conversion but also added a penalty to edge the visitors 12-10 in front.

Warrington finished the half the stronger when Gidley crashed over, Patton converting to extend their half-time lead but that was wiped out seven minutes after the restart when the artful Brough sneaked over from dummy half, to tie it up at 16-16.

Brough added the conversion to edge the Giants back in front with a penalty on the hour mark before two tries in three minutes from Rhys Evans and Toby King, who collected Patton's crossfield kick to score, made it 26-20.

But, in a thrilling climax, King lost possession on his own line and, from the last play of the game McGillvary went over in the corner, only for Brough to just fail from the touchline with his bid to claim a third Huddersfield draw in six matches.

Warrington Wolves coach Tony Smith:

"It was ugly but it was two points. It wasn't the prettiest of games by a long shot but we hung on.

"It's been a while I would suggest since we won both our games over Easter so, because of where we are placed in the table, it was probably important to pick up the two points.

"In terms of performance it was very much a second-game-over-Easter performance from both teams. The big men looked tired today and came up with some stuff they normally don't come up with."

Huddersfield Giants coach Rick Stone:

"It was a toss of the coin sort of kick from the touchline, probably on Danny's right side being a left-footer. He had one in the first half which he struck a fraction left and this one went a bit right - but there's no dramas.

"We are not getting a lot of luck or 50-50 decisions and it tends to happen when you are not winning games.

"You have to make your own luck and be energised and be in a position where hopefully we are going to get the rub of the green because in the last couple of weeks we've not had too much."

Warrington: Ratchford; Evans, T King, Livett, Lineham; Patton, Gidley; Hill, Clark, Sims, Jullien, Hughes, Cooper.

Replacements: Philbin, Dwyer, G King, Savelio.

Huddersfield: Mamo; McGillvary, S Wood, Murphy, McIntosh; Brough, Gaskell; Ikahihifo, Hinchcliffe, Wakeman, Mellor, Roberts, Clough.

Replacements: Rapira, Leeming, Mason, Dickinson.

Referee: Ben Thaler (RFL).

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC