Super League: Hull Kingston Rovers 18-16 Hull FC

Jimmy Keinhorst
Jimmy Keinhorst goes over for Hull KR's last-minute try against local rivals Hull FC
Betfred Super League
Hull KR (14) 18
Tries: Tomkins, Garbutt, Keinhorst Goals: Drinkwater 3
Hull FC (12) 16
Tries: Manu, Dawson-Jones, Faraimo Goals: Sneyd 2

Hull KR scored with the last play of the game to beat Hull FC in Super League in the 233rd Hull derby.

Sika Manu and Matty Dawson-Jones gave the visitors the lead at the 20-minute mark.

However, the home side hit back through Joel Tomkins and Mitch Garbutt to lead 14-12 at half-time.

Bureta Faraimo put Hull FC ahead again before Jimmy Keinhorst secured the hosts a dramatic victory as he went over in the corner in the 80th minute.

Defeat for Hull FC halted a run of three successive wins at Craven Park and it ended Lee Radford's record of never losing an opening Super League fixture as head coach.

Two tries in three minutes put the visitors in control as Manu bulldozed his way over on the short side, before Dawson-Jones scored a debut try from Danny Washbrook's kick.

Marc Sneyd, who converted both tries, missed a chance to give Radford's side a 14-point lead as he pulled a penalty to the right of the posts and the hosts soon hit back, also scoring two tries in three minutes.

New Hull KR captain Tomkins went over after Danny McGuire's short pass and the former Leeds man then set up fellow ex-Rhino Garbutt to run in to the right of the posts.

Josh Drinkwater's penalty - to go with his earlier two goals - gave the home side a 14-12 half-time lead as they scored 14 points in six minutes.

After 27 scoreless second-half minutes, Faraimo scored a superb try when he collected Sneyd's pass and knocked off Drinkwater's challenge to power over the line.

That looked to be the winner but Drinkwater's kick across the pitch to the right-hand corner was collected by Ben Crooks, and Danny Addy and McGuire combined to set up Keinhorst, who just got his hand to the ball to spark jubilant scenes amongst the home supporters.

Hull KR coach Tim Sheens:

"You don't expect that with two minutes to go, being at your own end and really struggling, so to get down the other end without a penalty and come up with the right play was a tremendous effort.

"I was just about to replace Jimmy (Keinhorst) with Kane Linnett. He was struggling towards the back end because he hadn't played a full game for quite a while but I thought he was good.

"We'll enjoy the euphoria of the moment but you can't expect to say that's going to lead us to the top five, although it's better than starting with a loss."

Hull FC coach Lee Radford:

"I walked into the changing rooms and they had their heads down, so I told them to get their heads up.

"I'm proud of the performance. We did a lot of good stuff, unfortunately we just got nipped at the end. I thought we did enough to get a result.

"We came out second best but, if we continue to turn up with that attitude and add a bit of finesse, we should be fine."

Hull KR: Atkin, Crooks, Keinhorst, Vaivai, Hall, McGuire, Drinkwater, Hauraki, Tomkins, Linnett, Mulhern, Lawler, Masoe.

Replacements: Greenwood, Garbutt, Lee, Addy.

Hull FC: Shaul, Dawson-Jones, Tuimavave, Griffin, Faraimo, Washbrook, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Matongo, Manu, Minichiello, Hadley.

Replacements: Thompson, Lane, Paea, Litten.

Referee: Ben Thaler (RFL).

Top Stories