Super League: Warrington Wolves 28-14 Hull KR; Joel Tomkins injured

Joel Tomkins
Joel Tomkins was tackled by Blake Austin on 27 minutes, an incident which saw him injured
Betfred Super League
Warrington (12) 28
Tries: Livett 2, Lineham, Charnley, Cooper Goals: Ratchford 4
Hull KR (8) 14
Tries: Crooks, Hall, Keinhorst Goal: Drinkwater

Hull Kingston Rovers are "concerned" for captain Joel Tomkins after he was taken to hospital in Saturday's 28-14 Super League defeat by Warrington.

Tomkins was concussed after he was caught high by Blake Austin in an incident which saw the Warrington half-back sent to the sin-bin.

Although the visitors scored on the back of the yellow card, Warrington later took control to come out winners.

"He's a sick boy and in a bad way," Rovers coach Tim Sheens said.

"We are concerned for him. I think the player concerned may have a little worry this week but it doesn't help us for the fact in the 10 minutes he was off we scored a try.

"It's a tough one for referees because he doesn't know he's hit him that hard he has put him in hospital, and it doesn't matter if you are lying on the ground or running through, if you get hit flush on the head you are going to have a problem.

"I'm not whingeing about it though, it's difficult for referees but losing my captain and influential player in the squad for most of the game was a concern."

Wire make it two wins out of two

Although they were eventually beaten Rovers started brightly, twice leading through tries from Ben Crooks and Craig Hall with Harvey Livett in reply.

Tom Lineham picked off Chris Atkin's pass to score for the Wire and Livett's second from Atkin's spill took the game away from the visitors.

Josh Charnley increased the lead, and after Jimmy Keinhorst's reply, Mike Cooper's try sealed the win.

This was a tough examination of much-fancied Warrington's championship credentials from a Rovers side buoyed by their opening weekend derby win against Hull FC.

Veteran playmaker Danny McGuire was lively, while another former Leeds Rhinos player Mitch Garbutt was also impressive, but errors proved costly notably in the second half when stand-in full-back Atkin fumbled a kick and Livett pounced.

Warrington invested heavily in quality during the winter in the shape of marquee stand-off Austin and forward Jason Clark, and they were part of a really strong Wire display.

Head coach Steve Price, and perhaps England coach Wayne Bennett, will be delighted though that it was all England-qualified players coming up with the points.

Warrington head coach Steve Price:

"I thought the Blake Austin incident was him just being aggressive and to be honest, I didn't see much wrong from where I was sitting but obviously I will have to review it again.

"I'm pleased with two competition points but it's not a performance we're happy with.

"I thought we made it too comfortable for them throughout the game and we expect better of ourselves.

"But it's good to knock out a win and still score 28 points in round two against a team that is going to cause others a lot of problems this season."

Rovers coach Sheens on the game:

"We made a game of it and tries just at the end of half-time and full time changed the nature of the scoreboard.

"We created opportunities and just didn't finish them and you can't do that against a side of Warrington's ability."

Warrington: Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, Atkins, Charnley; Austin, Patton; Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Livett, Hughes, J Clark

Interchanges: Murdoch-Masila, Tasi, Philbin, Walker.

Hull KR: Atkin; Crooks, Keinhorst, Linnett, Hall; McGuire, Drinkwater; Masoe, Lee, Mulhern, Tomkins, Hauraki, Lawler.

Interchanges: Garbutt, Greenwood, Addy, Vaivai.

Top Stories