Super League: Wakefield Trinity 22-12 Catalans Dragons

Tom Johnstone
Tom Johnstone scores Wakefield's first try against Catalans
Betfred Super League
Wakefield (20) 22
Tries: Johnstone, Fifita, Batchelor Goals: Brough 5
Catalans (8) 12
Tries: Langi 2 Goals: Tomkins 2

Wakefield secured their first Super League win of 2019 by beating Catalans.

Tom Johnstone's try put the hosts ahead, quickly replied to by Samisoni Langi, as the teams were level at the 20-minute mark.

Two tries in three minutes by David Fifita and James Batchelor saw the hosts lead 20-8 at half-time.

Langi's second try of the evening reduced the arrears before Catalans lost David Mead as he was stretchered off with a serious-looking injury.

Defeat means Catalans have now won one and lost two of their opening three Super League matches - the same record as Wakefield.

Danny Brough led Wakefield out on his 500th career appearance and kicked 10 points in a man-of-the-match performance.

Trinity took the lead in the 16th minute thanks to good footwork from Ryan Hampshire to send Johnstone in at the left-hand corner, who spectacularly dived to land the ball with one hand for his 20th try in his past 16 games.

Catalans hit straight back within three minutes as Mead's dummy freed Langi to score under the posts from a three-on-two break.

Fifita took advantage of a knock-on and powered his way past Matty Smith and Kenny Edwards to go over, before Brough's kick-through was grounded by Batchelor as Wakefield led by 12 points at the interval.

The hosts then had a player sin-binned for the third game in succession as Keegan Hirst saw yellow for a high tackle and although they kept Catalans off the board for the full 10 minutes, they conceded moments after.

Langi scored two tries for the first time in his career as he took a short pass from Sam Tomkins to go over, before both sides were reduced to 12 in quick succession as Catalans' Jason Baitieri was sin-binned for foul play and Wakefield loose forward Tinirau Arona delayed a re-start.

The night ended on a sour note as play was held up for more than five minutes as Mead received treatment on the field and was carried off on a stretcher, with Catalans coach Steve McNamara saying indications are it is either a pelvis or hip injury.

Wakefield head coach Chris Chester:

"We needed a win and I thought we were good value for it. I thought we did a lot of good things in the first half. We matched their physicality and controlled the ball really well.

"I was delighted with the defensive side of our game. We knew they would be direct but we managed to force them into some errors.

"We created some space and executed some really nice tries. That's the monkey off our back now before we go to Leeds next Friday night."

Catalans head coach Steve McNamara:

"We prepared well but we showed a lack of discipline in all parts of the game.

"We didn't concede in the second half but we never showed enough discipline with the ball to trouble Wakefield too much.

"I'm really disappointed and frustrated with our performance."

Wakefield: Hampshire, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Tupou, Johnstone, Miller, Brough, Fifita, Wood, England, Batchelor, Ashurst, Arona.

Replacements: Horo, King, Kopczak, Hirst.

Catalans Dragons: Tomkins, Mead, Langi, Wiliame, Tierney, Gigot, Smith, Simon, McIlorum, Moa, Edwards, Whitley, Casty.

Replacements: Garcia, Goudemand, Maria, Baitieri.

Referee: Chris Kendall (RFL).


Join the conversation

These comments are now closed.


Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC