Challenge Cup: Hull Kingston Rovers 22-28 Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves' Tom Lineham scores his side's third try during their Challenge Cup quarter-final tie against Hull Kingston Rovers
Warrington have reached the last four of the Challenge Cup for the ninth time in 11 years
Coral Challenge Cup
Hull KR (0) 22
Tries: Crooks, Drinkwater 2, Hall Goals: Shaw 3
Warrington (12) 28
Tries: Mamo, Austin, Lineham, Murdoch-Masila, Currie Goals: Patton 4

Warrington Wolves reached the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup after holding off a spirited Hull KR.

Tries from Jake Mamo and Blake Austin put the Wire 12-0 up at the break, despite being down to 11 at one point.

Tom Lineham and Ben Murdoch-Masila both powered over to extend the lead to 22-0 before the Robins replied through Ben Crooks and Josh Drinkwater.

Drinkwater's second effort and Craig Hall's score gave the hosts hope but Ben Currie's try proved enough to win.

Warrington, runners-up to Catalans last season, built a commanding lead on the back of a fierce defensive display which saw them repel waves of attacks in the first half.

Ahead through Mamo's score, the visitors came under pressure after Lineham saw yellow for a late hit on Jimmy Keinhorst and Declan Patton joined him in the sin-bin four minutes later for a ball steal.

Steve Price's side survived the Robins' onslaught and two tries after half-time looked to have put Warrington comfortably on course for a place in the last four.

However, three scores in the space of 15 minutes brought 1980 winners Hull KR back into the game - but after their defence failed to gather a high kick Austin set up Currie to give Warrington a 12-point advantage heading into the last six minutes.

The Robins, second from bottom in Super League and beaten 54-6 by the Wolves last month, forced a frantic finale after Hall weaved his way through the Wire defence but Tim Sheens' side could not find another score which would have forced golden-point extra-time.

Eight-time winners Warrington join Hull FC in the hat for the semi-finals, with the draw taking place live on BBC Two after the all-Championship clash between Bradford Bulls and Halifax on Sunday (14:45 BST).

Warrington coach Steve Price:

"The first half was outstanding - to play with 11 men and to absorb that amount of pressure inside our 30.

"The 20 minutes after half-time we were in control. It was 22-0 and we were playing some reasonable footy.

"[But] I was very disappointed with our attitude and our discipline, especially with the ball, that back end of the game. To give away a penalty, especially when you've got the ball, is unacceptable.

"We had to be at our best and it's good to get there in the end."

Hull KR coach Tim Sheens:

"We had a chance with them down at one stage to 11 men and couldn't put a point on the board, that's very disappointing.

"Brain explosions were the issue. We tried to score without actually planning it - we just rushed it.

"They didn't win that game tonight, we lost it. We shot our ourselves in the foot. We didn't play with our heads.

"There were so many fundamental errors and silly things."

Hull KR: Hall, Shaw, Linnett, J Keinhorst, Crooks, Drinkwater, McGuire, Maria, Addy, Masoe, Lawler, Hauraki, Mulhern.

Replacements: Atkin, Garbutt, Lannon, Harrison.

Warrington: Mamo, Lineham, Goodwin, King, Charnley, Austin, Patton, Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Philbin.

Replacements: Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, Akauola, Davis.

Sin-bin: Lineham (18), Patton (23).

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL).

Top Stories