Super League: Hull FC 35-32 Salford Red Devils

Hull FC half-back Albert Kelly
Albert Kelly scored twice in a dominant first-half display by Hull FC
Betfred Super League
Hull FC (28) 35
Tries: Kelly 2, Connor, Minichiello, Shaul, Naulago Goals: Sneyd 5 Drop-goal: Sneyd
Salford (12) 32
Tries: Pauli 2, Bibby 2, Lui, Evalds Goals: Inu 4

Hull FC held off a Salford Red Devils comeback to win on an emotional night that saw both clubs show support for their former player Jansin Turgut.

Hull ended the game with just 11 men after Josh Griffin was sent off and both sides had a player sin-binned.

But they held on to win despite Salford fighting back from a 28-12 deficit to lose by just three points on a night when Turgut was in everyone's thoughts.

He is recovering from surgery in Spain after a fall in Ibiza.

Turgut's partner Steph Gaunt, who is raising funds for his aftercare, was a special guest.

She saw Hull dominate the first half, scoring five tries in building a 28-12 lead.

Salford rallied with Rob Lui, Pauli Pauli, Jake Bibby and Niall Evards all crossing, but Hull just held on.

Hull's win, which takes them level on points with third-place Catalans Dragons, had looked to be formality at the interval.

A blistering home start at the KCOM Stadium brought an 18-0 lead inside 15 minutes, Albert Kelly touching down Marc Sneyd's clever kick and Jake Connor and Mark Minichiello also crossing.

The teams then shared four tries, with Pauli powering over and Bibby scoring in the corner for Salford.

Kelly scored his second try in between and sheer pace from Jamie Shaul earned the home side's fifth before the break.

Rob Lui went over from close range to cut the lead further, but the relentless nature of the game then slowed.

A Marc Sneyd drop-goal made it 29-16 and Ratu Naulago ran well over half the length of the pitch to seemingly seal the win with 15 minutes remaining.

But a spirited Salford finale brought late drama in an increasingly fiery contest.

Hull's Chris Green and Salford's Adam Walker were both sent to the sin bin for a scuffle and Griffin then saw red for the hosts for a dangerous tackle.

Salford almost made the extra man count, with second tries for Pauli and Bibby making it 35-28.

But despite Evards going over in the corner Hull held on for a three-point win.

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford:

"The game should have been killed off really early and definitely could have been 10 minutes after half-time.

"We might, though, have a couple of issues with disciplinary on Tuesday.

"The legs went above the horizontal and the player was dropped on his head," said Radford of Griffin's tackle.

"But Kallum Watkins did exactly the same recently and he got 10 minutes. It's not a tackle I want to see in the game and they both deserved punishing. But punish them the same."

Salford head coach Ian Watson:

"We showed some real fight in the second half but we were embarrassed and disappointed by our first-half performance.

"We came with an attitude that we didn't want to defend. It looked like we wanted to do the easy stuff.

"We should have come here wanting to do the gritty stuff and enjoy the gritty stuff.

"It is an individual attitude that is something we need to address. There was a lack of ruthlessness to hit someone defensively and hurt them."

Hull FC: Shaul; Faraimo, Griffin, Connor, Naulago; Kelly, Sneyd; Paea, Houghton, Green, Manu, Minichiello, Westerman.

Interchanges: Bowden, Hadley, Savelio, Fash.

Salford: Evalds; Sio, Welham, Inu, Bibby; Lui, Hastings; Dudson, Lussick, Murray, Jones, Griffin, Burke.

Interchanges: Walker, McCarthy, Tomkins, Pauli.

Top Stories