Edinburgh 19-14 Connacht

Edinburgh's Lee Jones is tackled by two Connacht players
Jones, seen here in possession, made some important tackles for Edinburgh

Gregor Hunter's try and the boot of Greig Laidlaw helped Edinburgh record their first win of the season against Connacht at Murrayfield.

Two penalties by captain Laidlaw put the hosts 6-0 up at the turnaround.

Laidlaw continued to keep the score ticking over in the second half with two more penalties and a conversion after Hunter had gone over.

Connacht's Niall O'Connor added to Matthew Jarvis's two penalties and O'Connor also crossed the line late on.

The result gives Michael Bradley his first victory since becoming Edinburgh coach with the Scottish capital side still missing many of their international players on World Cup duty.

Connacht suffer a first RaboDirect Pro12 defeat but claim a bonus point having reduced the margin of defeat below six points.

The visitors countered an early Edinburgh advance and Frank Murphy freed Tiernan O'Halloran, who would have registered the first score but for Lee Jones' tackle.

Jarvis was off the mark with a 40-metre penalty attempt and Jones came to Edinburgh's rescue again with another tackle on O'Halloran after the Connacht wing had charged down Tom Brown's attempted clearance.

More penalty misses by Jarvis and Laidlaw kept the score blank over the half-hour mark but the Edinburgh scrum-half soon kicked the home side ahead with his next attempt.

Connacht lost Gavin Duffy to a yellow card and George Naoupu to injury and Laidlaw doubled his tally after Edinburgh earned another penalty.

Jarvis hauled the visitors back into the game with his first successful penalty just after the restart but Laidlaw re-established a six-point lead and the sequence was repeated as Jarvis and Laidlaw exchanged further kicks.

O'Connor replaced Jarvis and brought Connacht to within three points of Edinburgh with a penalty on 55 minutes.

But Edinburgh put some distance between the sides when Dave Denton charged down an O'Connor kick and the ball broke to Hunter, who forced his way over the line. Laidlaw converted.

O'Connor atoned for his earlier error when he darted over and touched down but the missed conversion kept Edinburgh five ahead and the home side weathered a late storm to claim victory.

Edinburgh: T. Brown, Jones, Thompson, King, Visser, Laidlaw, Leck, Traynor, Lawrie, Knight, Gilchrist, S. Turnbull, Cox, Grant, Denton.

Replacements: Scott for King (79), Hunter for Leck (52), Hislop for Traynor (62), Kelly for Lawrie (62), McInally for Gilchrist (60). Not Used: Niven, Lozada, Black.

Connacht: Duffy, McCrea, Griffin, Fa'afili, O'Halloran, Jarvis, F. Murphy, Loughney, Reynecke, Ah You, Swift, McCarthy, Muldoon, J. O'Connor, Naoupu.

Replacements: Tuohy for McCrea (67), O'Donohoe for F. Murphy (60), Wilkinson for Loughney (50), Flavin for Reynecke (60), Rogers for Ah You (44), Ofisa for Naoupu (37). Not Used: Gannon, N. O'Connor.

Att: 2,364

Ref: Alan Falzone (Italy)