RaboDirect Pro12: Scarlets 33-17 Edinburgh

Scarlets centre Adam Warren dives over for his first try
Scarlets centre Adam Warren dives over for his first try

Scarlets ended a run of four successive Pro12 defeats with a bonus-point win over Edinburgh at Parc y Scarlets.

Debutant Adam Warren celebrated his first start with a try in each half, with Richie Pugh and Rhys Thomas also crossing after the break.

Edinburgh were in touch at 13-10 down at the break thanks to Tim Visser's try, converted by Greig Laidlaw.

Lee Jones crossed to close the gap to six points with 20 minutes to go, but the Scarlets responded to seal the win.

Already stretched by injury and World Cup absentees, Scarlets suffered another blow as centre and captain Gareth Maule injured his ankle during the warm up.

That gave Warren the opportunity to make his first start, and the 20-year-old enjoyed another slice of luck to score the opening try after just 15 minutes.

Edinburgh fly-half Gregor Hunter saw his kick charged down by the onrushing Scarlets defensive line, and Warren pounced to chip ahead before collecting the ball and sliding over the line in one motion.

Having opened the scoring with a long-range penalty, fly-half Aled Thomas added the conversion, before stretching the lead to 13-0 with another penalty five minutes later.

Scarlets failed to build on their early dominance, though, allowing the Edinburgh to find a foothold.

Laidlaw cut the deficit with three points from the boot, and then another penalty in the home 22 provided a great attacking platform from a short-range lineout.

A couple of in-field drives attracted the home defenders before a blindside attack created just enough space for Visser to dive over in the left corner.

Laidlaw converted superbly from the touchline to send the teams into the break at 13-10.

The second half mirrored the first as the home side took the initiative.

Their dominance this time yielded two tries, with Warren again showing his appetite for the tryline as he sprinted for the left corner after Rhodri Gomer Davies and Dan Newton combined from turnover ball.

A period of concerted pressure then saw Richie Pugh burrow his way over from a yard after Warren had been held short.

Thomas missed both attempts to convert from the left, but the home side were clear at 23-10 with 20 minutes to go.

Any thoughts of relaxing were quickly dispelled as Edinburgh, back to a full compliment after John Houston's yellow card, replied almost immediately.

Wing Jones did it all himself as he beat two men with ease on the outside after collecting a high kick near the halfway line.

Laidlow's conversion brought the visitors back within a converted score, but Thomas finally found his range to land a penalty that gave the home side some breathing space.

Victory and the bonus point were secured six minutes from time when number eight Ben Morgan and then prop Thomas used brute force to pierce the Edinburgh defence.


Scarlets: Dan Newton, Lee Williams, Rhodri Gomer Davies, Adam Warren, Andy Fenby; Aled Thomas, Rhodri Williams; Phil John, Emyr Phillips, Rhys Thomas, Aaron Shingler, Damian Welch, Rob McCusker (capt), Richie Pugh, Ben Morgan.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Peter Edwards, Rhodri Jones, Dominic Day, Johnathan Edwards, Ruki Tipuna, Dale Ford, Liam Williams.

Edinburgh: Jim Thompson, Lee Jones, Matt Scott, John Houston, Tim Visser, Gregor Hunter, Greig Laidlaw (capt), Kyle Traynor, Steven Lawrie, Shaun Knight, Grant Gilchrist, Sean Cox, David Denton, Roddy Grant, Stuart McInally.

Replacements: Alun Walker, Lewis Niven, Jack Gilding, Esteban Lozada, Alan MacDonald, Chris Leck, Phil Godman, Tom Brown.

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU)

Assistant Referees: Leighton Hodges, Jon Mason (WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)

TMO: Paul Adams (WRU)

Top Stories