Munster 34-17 Edinburgh

Will Chambers, Ross Rennie and Tom Brown
Munster's Will Chambers is tackled by Tom Brown and Ross Rennie in Limerick

Munster put an end to Edinburgh's three-match winning run as the province's youngsters starred in the Pro12 clash at Thomond Park.

Danny Barnes crossed for his fourth try in this season's Pro12 and wings Simon Zebo and Luke O'Dea also touched down.

Edinburgh had props Jack Gilding and Kyle Traynor sin-binned in the second half as a penalty try helped Munster earn a deserved bonus point.

Phil Godman, Tom Brown and Greig Laidlow scored Edinburgh tries.

Munster fly-half Ian Keatley missed with an early penalty but it was his clever switch of attack that created the opening for the first try.

Keatley darted out to the left before linking with man of the match Denis Hurley, who broke through the first line of defence and released Barnes to finish off the move.

The fly-half converted but then turned into the villain as his loose kick was gobbled up by Gilding, who set Netani Talei off on a powerful run before offloading to put Godman over in the left corner.

Godman missed the conversion and after Keatley was also off target with a penalty, the home fly-half was successful to make it 10-5.

Will Chambers and Paddy Butler missed chances to extend Munster's lead before the break before another Keatley penalty extended the advantage to 13-5 at the break.

Edinburgh notched their first score of the second half as a slick move was finished off by Tom Brown's outstretched finish with the Edinburgh winger's momentum helping him over the line.

Godman's missed conversion left Munster with a three-point lead and their forwards turned up the heat after a bulldozing midfield run from Zebo.

Edinburgh had tighthead Gilding sin-binned for slowing up ruck ball and after a series of five-metre scrums, Traynor joined him or dropping his bind.

At the next scrum, Munster marched over the line and Stuart McInally coughed up the penalty try as he broke early in trying to stop Butler from scoring.

Keatley added the extras and soon after Chambers drew in two defenders to put Zebo over for try number three with the Munster fly-half again converting.

Edinburgh, now restored to 15 men, responded in impressive fashion with Greig Laidlaw taking advantage of a slip by Chambers after Sep Visser was held up over the line.

However, O'Dea had the final say, dotting down Keatley's finely-judged kick for the right corner as Munster climbed into third place ahead of next weekend's trip to the table-topping Ospreys.


Munster: D Hurley; L O'Dea, W Chambers, D Barnes, S Zebo; I Keatley, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Fogarty, S Archer; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll (capt); B Holland, T O'Donnell, P Butler.

Replacements: T Gleeson for Zebo 76, S Deasy for Keatley 76, D Williams for O'Leary 69, J Ryan for Horan 76, S Henry for Fogarty 69, J Hayes for S Archer 69, I Nagle for D O'Callaghan 76, J Coughlan for Butler 69.

Edinburgh: C Paterson, S Visser, J Thompson, J King, T Brown, P Godman, M Blair, K Traynor, S Lawrie (capt), J Gilding, S Cox, S Turnbull, N Talei, R Rennie, S McInally

Replacements: G Hunter for Paterson 77, H Leonard for Thompson 23, G Laidlaw for Godman 68, L Niven for Traynor 68, R Hislop for Gilding 64, E Lozada for S Turnbull 68, R Grant for Talei 72.

Not Used: Kelly.

Referee: Neil Paterson (SRFU).