RaboDirect Pro12: Newport Gwent Dragons 14-14 Glasgow Warriors

Jason Tovey
Jason Tovey lands a last-gasp penalty to the bring the Dragons level

Jason Tovey snatched a draw for Newport Gwent Dragons with the last kick of the game after a drab Pro12 League clash came to life in the final stages.

Three Ruaridh Jackson penalties to one from Steffan Jones and Tovey gave Glasgow a 6-9 lead after 64 minutes.

Tom Riley's try then put the Dragons ahead for the first time on 68 minutes.

Scott Wight's 74th-minute try looked to have given Glasgow victory, but after his conversion hit the post, Tovey held his nerve to level.

The result ends Glasgow's run of five consecutive wins and ensures that the home side's unbeaten home league record continues.

But after spending the majority of the game behind, the Dragons had only themselves to blame for failing to hold on to their slender advantage in the final six minutes by allowing the visitors to score a soft try.

There seemed to be no danger as Wight fired an aimless punt down the left touchline, but Dragons flanker Lewis Evans committed the cardinal sin of waiting for the ball to go dead.

Wight, who had come on four minutes earlier, took full advantage as he dived onto the loose ball after following his own kick.

The first hour was one to be forgotten as poor handling and kicking from the Dragons prevented them from turning their possession dominance into points.

Young fly-half Jones, preferred to the established Tovey, missed two relatively straightforward attempts at goal in the first half to leave the home side pointless at the break.

Jackson also missed a shot at goal in the opening period, but he replicated his accurate start to the first half by landing another penalty three minutes after the re-start.

Jones cut the deficit six minutes later as the Dragons continued to enjoy an almost monopoly of the ball, but a Glasgow up-and-under soon forced the home side to transgress at a ruck and Jackson kicked his third penalty.

After replacing the inured wing Tonderai Chavhanga, Tovey took over the kicking duties and he succeeded with his first attempt on 64 minutes to bring the Dragons back to within three points.

And four minutes later Riley crossed to put the home side ahead for the first time and seemingly in control.

Martyn Thomas delivered the final pass to give Riley a run in to the right corner, and the video referee decided that the centre managed to ground the ball before crossing into touch under Colin Shaw's tackle.

Tovey's conversion attempt his the post, but the Dragons were given a further boost when Glasgow replacement Rob Harley was sent to the sin bin for an offence in the lead up to the try.

The video referee was then called into action twice in a minute as the game finally found some intensity.

A midfield Thomas break sent the home backs clear, but Adam Hughes was penalised for a double movement as he attempt to stretch over the tryline.

And then from nothing, Glasgow grabbed what looked to be the match-winning score as Wight capitalised on Lewis's dithering in the left corner.

Wight's conversion hit the post and then the Dragons were given a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty inside the Glasgow 22.

Tovey was told to go for the posts instead of aiming for a match-winning try, and he made no mistake with the kick to snatch a draw.


Dragons: M. Thomas; Chavhanga, Riley, A. Smith, Hughes; Steffan Jones, W. Evans; N. Williams, Steve Jones, Buck, A. Jones, Morgan, L. Evans, G. Thomas, Brown.

Replacements: Tovey for Chavhanga (52), Burns for Steve Jones (54), Groves for Brown (59), Price for N. Williams (60), Tuilagi for Steffan Jones (72) Waters for G. Thomas (72).

Not Used: Jenkins, Bedford.

Glasgow: Murchie; Lemi, Dewey, Nathan, Shaw; Jackson, Pyrgos; Welsh, Hall, Kalman, Ryder, Verbakel, Forrester, Fusaro, Beattie.

Replacements: Harley for Forrester (54), Gillies for Hall (64), Wilson for Beattie (65), Reid for Welsh (68), Wight for Jackson (70)

Not Used: Low, Dunbar, McConnell.

Att: 5,267

Ref: David Wilkinson (Ireland).

Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Rhys Thomas

Citing Commissioner: John Charles

TMO: Tony Rowlands

Top Stories