Heineken Cup: Cardiff Blues 25-8 Edinburgh

Dan Parks is tackled by Ross Ford and Sean Cox
Blues' Scottish fly-half Dan Parks kicked 20 points against Edinburgh

A composed kicking display by Dan Parks guided Cardiff Blues to the top of their Heineken Cup group as they leap-frogged Edinburgh in Pool Two.

The Scottish fly-half was superb with the boot, kicking 20 points as the Blues earned a sixth win in a row over Edinburgh to take control of the pool.

A Greig Laidlaw penalty and Lee Jones' well-worked try proved a consolation as the Scottish side were overpowered.

Alex Cuthbert's late try from Scott Andrews' break sealed the victory.

The rookie wing, who made his Wales debut in last weekend's defeat to Australia, capped a memorable week with his first European try as he raced over in the corner after good work by Andrews and Sam Warburton.

The 2009 semi-finalists maintained their unbeaten European start with a hard-fought triumph over the group leaders and previously unbeaten Edinburgh as former Glasgow man Parks passed the 300-point mark in the Heineken Cup.

Edinburgh could have taken an early lead but Nick De Luca struck the post with a simple drop-goal attempt in front of the posts before Parks showed him how it should be done by slotting home his effort from just outside the visiting 22.

Laidlaw quickly levelled with a penalty but was off target with a long-range strike as the visitors enjoyed a good spell.

But it was proving to be an error-strewn contest lacking in quality, epitomised when an otherwise flawless Parks missed a straightforward drop-goal attempt after the hosts finally generated a fluid passage of attacking play with Wales pair Jamie Roberts and Warburton leading the way.

There were a couple of bright breaks from lively scrum-half Lloyd Williams and one raid, which saw him escape several defenders, laid the platform for Parks to land a penalty on the interval to restore Cardiff's lead.

The sparse crowd were finally given something to cheer when Gethin Jenkins, Taufa'ao Filise, Paul Tito and Warburton linked brilliantly in midfield to send the flanker gallivanting towards the Edinburgh 22.

The attack eventually came to nothing but the hosts were consoled by two Parks penalties in quick succession which stretched their lead to a handy nine points 10 minutes after the break.

The Blues pack began to get on top and some solid carrying from Wales lock Bradley Davies yielded another Parks penalty.

But the Dutch winger Tim Visser, who qualifiers for Scotland in June, gave Edinburgh hope as he drew two Blues defenders to put opposite wing Jones in at the right corner.

Laidlaw missed the testing conversion and the hosts found an instant reply when Cuthbert battered his way through the defence to lay the foundations for Parks to slot his second drop-goal.

The win was confirmed when replacement prop Andrews picked off a loose pass on the halfway line to dart forward and find the supporting Warburton, who fed Cuthbert to cross in the corner before Parks converted for his 60th point in three Heineken Cup games this term.


Cardiff Blues: Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Laulala, Roberts, Czekaj, Parks, L. Williams, G. Jenkins, T. Thomas, Filise, B. Davies, Tito, Paterson, Warburton, Rush.

Replacements: Evans for Halfpenny (74), Yapp for G. Jenkins (74), Tyrell for T. Thomas (68), Andrews for Filise (62), Molitika for Tito (74), Navidi for Warburton (74). Not Used: Sweeney, Rees.

Edinburgh: Paterson, Jones, De Luca, King, Visser, Leonard, Laidlaw, Jacobsen, Ford, Cross, Cox, Lozada, Denton, Grant, McInally.

Replacements: T. Brown for Paterson (69), M. Blair for Leonard (36), S. Turnbull for Lozada (68), Rennie for McInally (51). Not Used: Houston, Lawrie, Traynor, Gilding.

Att: 6,102

Referee: Wayne Barnes (RFU)

Top Stories