Rabo Direct Pro12: Edinburgh 20-42 Ulster

Ulster moved up to fifth in the RaboDirect Pro12 after a convincing win over Edinburgh at Murrayfield.

Nick De Luca crossed the line as the hosts made a strong start but tries from Rory Best and Dan Tuohy helped Ulster into a 19-13 half-time lead.

Andrew Trimble touched down as the visitors continued to dominate but Alun Walker's try gave Edinburgh hope.

However, Darren Cave went over to ensure a bonus point for Ulster, moving them above Cardiff Blues and Scarlets.

Edinburgh's second straight defeat leaves them ninth in the table ahead of their vital Heineken Cup clash with Racing Metro 92 in France.

The Scottish capital side strayed offside to give Ulster their first penalty and Ian Humphreys registered an early three points before doubling that tally following a similar award minutes later.

Tim Visser almost broke through the Ulster defence when he latched on to a well-judged crossfield kick from Phil Godman but the winger was bundled into touch short of the line.

Ulster players celebrate following Andrew Trimble's try against Edinburgh
Trimble (second from left) was one of Ulster's try scorers

But, after a series of fumbles by Ulster, De Luca capitalised on a loose ball and plunged over and Greig Laidlaw's conversion put the hosts in front before the scrum-half added a penalty to put Edinburgh 10-6 up.

An injury to Humphreys meant Ulster's kicking duties were passed on to Ruan Pienaar and the South African stroked over a penalty to bring Ulster back to within point.

The Irish province side then regained the lead following a slick handling move as Tuohy fed Best for the hooker to scuttle over on the right.

And, within moments, Tuohy powered over after another swift passing exchange.

Laidlaw reduced Edinburgh's deficit with a penalty just before the turnaround.

Pienaar had been unsuccessful with his first two conversion attempts but his penalty early in the second period stretched the visitors' lead.

Replacement Paul Marshall had played an important role in both of Ulster's first-half tries and the scrum-half's searing break was the catalyst for the next score as he offloaded for Trimble to run in.

Walker gathered after a close-range line-out and thundered over for Edinburgh's second try and Laidlaw added the conversion to bring the hosts to within 12 points.

But another Marshall-led break put Edinburgh on the back foot again and Cave claimed the bonus-point try, Pienaar adding the conversion and then a late penalty.

Edinburgh: Paterson, T. Brown, De Luca, King, Visser, Godman, Laidlaw, Jacobsen, Ford, Cross, Cox, Lozada, McInally, Grant, Talei.

Replacements: Thompson for Paterson (59), Scott for King (31), Leck for Godman (49), Traynor for Jacobsen (67), Walker for Ford (53), Gilding for Cross (70), MacDonald for McInally (61). Not Used: Gilchrist.

Ulster: Terblanche, Trimble, Cave, Whitten, Gilroy, Humphreys, Pienaar, Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Wannenburg.

Replacements: Wallace for Whitten (60), D'Arcy for Gilroy (75), P. Marshall for Humphreys (21), Black for Court (77), Kyriacou for Best (70), Macklin for Afoa (77), Stevenson for Tuohy (70), W. Faloon for Wannenburg (11).

Att: 3,792

Ref: George Clancy (IRFU)

Top Stories