Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin has said that he is "disappointed" at Declan Kidney's decision not to include Chris Henry and Dan Tuohy in Ireland's initial Six Nations squad.
Henry and Tuohy have been included in the second-string Wolfhounds squad but McLaughlin believes they should have been named in the 24-man senior panel.
The omission of Paul Marshall and Craig Gilroy from the Wolfhounds squad also surprised McLaughlin.
"It's a bit disappointing," he said.
"Declan has decided that he is going to stick with his World Cup squad and give them an opportunity in the Six Nations.
"Chris Henry has been exceptional (for Ulster) all season and Dan Tuohy has shown in the last three or four games that he's very capable of playing at that level.
"We're disappointed that those two are not included in the senior squad. (Although) we're delighted that they are going to get an opportunity to show what they can do with the Wolfhounds along with Nevin Spence.
"With the Wolfhounds, we feel that Paul Marshall along with Craig Gilroy and maybe a couple of others deserved an opportunity - especially given the way we have played in the last month.
"It's disappointing but they have a great opportunity on Saturday against Clermont to show what they can do and let their feet to the talking."
Kidney has stayed loyal to the men that played at the World Cup by naming no uncapped players in his initial 24-man squad for the Six Nations Championship.
With Gordon D'Arcy, Paddy Wallace and Eoin Reddan included, Luke Fitzgerald, Isaac Boss and Tomas O'Leary are named in the second-string Wolfhounds panel.
However, Kidney has emphasised that Wolfhounds players could yet be promoted to the senior squad.
The 22-man squad for the Six Nations opener against Wales on 5 February will be picked after the Wolfhounds' clash against England Saxons on 30 January.