Ireland XV 53-0 Fiji

Highlights - Ireland XV 53-0 Fiji

Ulster winger Craig Gilroy scored three tries as Ireland's young side proved too strong for Fiji in the uncapped international at Thomond Park.

Gilroy snapped up the first try in the 10th minute and fellow winger Fergus McFadden then got over for the second.

Hooker Sean Cronin battled over for the third try and centre Darren Cave weaved his way through on 31 minutes.

McFadden got his second try soon after the interval and Gilroy scored two more with Luke Marshall completing the rout.

It was not all good news for Ireland, though, as flanker John Muldoon was carried off with what looked like a worrying leg injury.

The performance of a youthful side will be of some comfort to Ireland coach Declan Kidney, who has been under pressure after a run of disappointing results.

However, the big test will come next weekend when Ireland host Argentina in the last of their autumn Tests, in all probability needing to win to retain their place in the top eight of the world rankingsexternal-link ahead of the 2015 World Cup draw.

Kidney will have been given some interesting selection issues to mull over after Gilroy's heroics and decent displays by his Ulster team-mates Cave, Jackson and Iain Henderson.

It was fly-half Jackson who kicked the hosts into a seventh-minute lead after Fiji had been caught offside.

Then Gilroy got the opening try, diving over in the right corner after Ulster colleague Luke Marshall had set it up with a fine charge, dummy and pass.

Jackson landed the touchline conversion to give Kidney's side an early 10-0 lead.

Ireland registered their second try in the 21st minute with a try which stemmed from a run by the impressive Gilroy. The ball was worked out left for Leinster wing McFadden to squeeze over for a touchdown which required confirmation from the television match official.

Jackson again split the posts with the testing conversion for 17-0.

Ireland's third try quickly followed with Gilroy again making valuable ground. Scrum-half Conor Murray fed Cronin, who bulldozed over from just a few yards out and Jackson tagged on the additional two points.

Try number four came in the 31st minute with Ulster centre Cave ghosting over. Jackson missed with what looked the easiest of his four conversion attempts.

Ireland stretched their advantage to 36 points in the 44th minute through McFadden's second converted try, set up by Jamie Heaslip's fine charge and offload.

Fiji winger Timoci Matanavou was sin-binned for a tip tackle on scrum-half Murray but the hosts later had a brief numerical advantage as back-row replacement Chris Henry was shown a yellow card.

Henry was soon joined on the sidelines by Talemaitoga Tuapati for a late hit on Gilroy.

Gilroy then got his second by finishing a fine move which saw Jackson and Simon Zebo set up the opening in the left corner.

The final try was a made-in-Ulster production, with Jackson and Henderson creating the opportunity for centre Marshall to bring up the half-century.


Ireland A: Hurley; McFadden, Cave, L Marshall, Gilroy; Jackson, Murray; Kilcoyne, Cronin, Ross, O'Callaghan, Tuohy, Henderson, Muldoon, Heaslip.

Replacements: Zebo for Hurley (62), P Marshall for Murray (62), Strauss for Cronin (62), Bent for Ross (53), Henry for Muldoon (45), McCarthy for Heaslip (76).

Not Used: Healy, Sexton.

Sin Bin: Henry (65).

Fiji: Talebula; Koniferedi, Goneva, Fatiaki, Votu; Ralulu, Matawalu; Yanuyanutawa, Veikoso, Manu, Nakarawa, Naikatini, Ratuva, Ravulo, Nagusa, Matanavou.

Replacements: Radidi for Koniferedi (37), Matanavou for Fatiaki (41), Tuapati for Veikoso (45), Ratuniyarawa for Nakarawa (45), J Domolailai for Nagusa (61), Bolatagane for Matanavou (68).

Not Used: Saulo, Somoca.

Sin Bin: Matanavou (47), Tuapati (67).

Att: 17,126

Ref: Leighton Hodges (RFU).

Top Stories