Wales full-back Leigh Halfpenny released from hospital after checks

Leigh Halfpenny receives treatment on the field

Wales full-back Leigh Halfpenny was released from hospital on Sunday morning following scans on a neck injury.

The Blues full-back left the Millennium Stadium pitch on a stretcher at the end of Wales'

Halfpenny suffered the injury trying to halt the move that led to Kurtley Beale's winning try for the Wallabies.

"I want to say thank you to all of the medical teams who have looked after me following my injury," he said.

Halfpenny complained of neck pain after the game and was admitted to the University Hospital Wales for checks.

"The paramedics, WRU and Millennium Stadium medical teams were outstanding. All of the staff at University Hospital Wales were also amazing," said Halfpenny.

"I'd also like to thank all of those who have been sending me messages of support following the injury."

It is unclear at the moment when Halfpenny will return to action for his regional side Cardiff Blues.

Halfpenny's injury is one of a large number sustained by Wales squad players during the autumn campaign, with lock Luke Charteris joining the injury list on Saturday.

Charteris's head was caught awkwardly as the Perpignan man attempted a first-half tackle. He becomes the 10th Welsh front-five forward - and 12th forward - to suffer injury either before or during the autumn internationals.

He was temporarily replaced by versatile Ospreys back-five player Ryan Jones, who then took over at lock for the start of the second half.

On the eve of the match Osprey Ian Evans (knee) was replaced in the second row by Cardiff Blue Lou Reed.

Evans himself had been called back in following the concussion suffered by Blues' Bradley Davies in the incident that led to New Zealand hooker Andrew Hore being banned for five weeks.

Ahead of the autumn Tests, Wales were already without the Six Nations Player of the Tournament Dan Lydiate, tight-head props Adam Jones and Craig Mitchell, utility prop Rhodri Jones and hooker Huw Bennett.

Wales 12-14 Australia

Ospreys hooker Richard Hibbard's role in the autumn ended with a shoulder injury in the defeat by Samoa.

A similar fate befell another Osprey, experienced lock Alun Wyn Jones.

Adam Jones' fellow Osprey Aaron Jarvis stepped in to the number three jersey only to be ruled out for the season by knee ligament damage sustained against the All Blacks.

Bath's Paul James also figured at tight-head during the autumn, but was not available because of club commitments for the clash with the Wallabies.

That left Wales with 23-year-old Blue Scott Andrews winning his fifth cap at tight-head and unused, uncapped Scarlet Samson Lee, 20, on the bench against the Wallabies.

Mitchell (elbow) is expected to return to action for Exeter before Christmas.

Scarlets wing George North had to pull out ahead of the loss to New Zealand because of a hip problem that also prevented him from facing Australia.

Top Stories