Pro12: Edinburgh 31-24 Newport Gwent Dragons

Edinburgh prop Allan Jacobsen played his last game

Edinburgh (25) 31

Tonks, Laidlaw, Talei
Laidlaw 2
Laidlaw 4

Newport Gwent Dragons (10) 24

Jones, Lydiate, Prydie
Prydie 3

Edinburgh survived a spirited comeback from the Dragons to ensure Allan Jacobsen ended his career with a win.

The retiring prop saw the visitors go ahead through an early Steffan Jones try but the Murrayfield side responded with three scores before the interval.

Greig Tonks, Greig Laidlaw and Netani Talei, who will join Dragons next season, all touched down.

Dan Lydiate reduced the deficit with a score and Tom Prydie ran in a 60-yard interception but the hosts held on.

It was just a seventh win of a hugely disappointing season for the hosts, with the Welsh visitors the only team between them and winless Zebre at the foot of the table.

Dragons started the match well and struck with an opportunist score after four minutes, with Toby Faletau powering into the home 22 before offloading to Jones, who dived in between the posts, with Prydie adding the extras.

The lead lasted 10 minutes before Harry Leonard delivered a delightful chip into the arms of Tonks, who touched down and left Laidlaw a simple conversion.

The home skipper then gave his side the lead when he burrowed through from a close-range ruck.

And he added the extra two points after Talei had powered through two tackles before plunging over for a try in his final appearance for the club.

Sean Cox and Andrew Coombs were yellow carded after a punch-up and Dragons were further depleted when Ross Wardle was sent for 10 minutes in the sin-bin following a reckless tackle that presented Laidlaw with a penalty which he steered between the sticks.

And the same player had the final word before the break when he landed a second penalty, cancelling out an earlier effort by Prydie to leave Edinburgh 25-10 up at the break.

Dragons made a solid start to the second half but had only a missed penalty to show for their efforts, and it was the Scots who boosted their points tally when Laidlaw landed two further penalties.

However, just as the home fans were starting to enjoy what looked like a comfortable win, Lydiate raced over for a try which Prydie converted.

And the winger hauled his side right back into the contest when he latched on to a loose pass from Nick De Luca inside the Dragons half and galloped over.

His conversion trimmed the deficit to seven points and ensured there would be a tense closing period.

Edinburgh: Tonks, Fife, De Luca, Scott, T. Visser, Leonard, Laidlaw, Jacobsen, Ford, Nel, Gilchrist, Cox, McInally, Watson, Talei. Replacements: Francis for Scott (22), Kennedy for Leonard (65), Cross for Nel (65). Not Used: Lawrie, Hislop, Parker, McIver, Brown, Turnmoore.

Newport Gwent D'gons: D. Evans, Prydie, Wardle, Robling, Chavhanga, S. Jones, J. Evans, Coundley, Gustafson, Buck, Coombs, Sidoli, Lydiate, Cudd, Faletau. Replacements: Leach for Chavhanga (49), W. Evans for J. Evans (66), O. Evans for Coundley (61), Parry for Gustafson (54), Ryan for Buck (27), A. Jones for Sidoli (21), I. Jones for Faletau (61). Not Used: Amos.

Att: 3,660

Ref: Marius Mitrea (Italy).

Top Stories