Pro12: Munster 13-14 Edinburgh

Munster try-scorer CJ Stander is tackled by Greig Tonks and Fraser McKenzie
Munster try-scorer CJ Stander is tackled by Greig Tonks and Fraser McKenzie
Munster (5) 13
Tries: Stander 2
Pen: Keatley
Edinburgh (9) 14
Try: Cuthbert
Pens: Heathcote 3

Edinburgh began the Pro12 season with a one-point victory over last year's semi-finalists Munster at Thomond Park.

Three penalties from Tom Heathcote helped the visitors to a 9-5 half-time lead over the Irish province, for whom CJ Stander scored a first-half try.

A Jack Cuthbert touchdown extended Edinburgh's lead, then Stander scored his second try of the game for Munster.

An Ian Keatley penalty brought his side to within a point at 13-14 but Munster were unable to add to their tally.

The result was a far cry from the last meeting of the two sides in May, when Munster won 55-12 at Meggetland.

Edinburgh head coach Alan Solomons spoke before the match of his ambition for the Scottish capital team to finish in the top six this season and away wins will be crucial if they are to achieve that goal.

The visitors were sure and steady early on and new signing John Andress made an immediate impact in the first scrum, driving John Ryan backwards to set up a penalty which Heathcote converted.

And fly-half Heathcote, who started in place of late withdrawal Greig Tonks, rifled over his second successful kick after BJ Botha was caught offside.

A marginal forward pass from Heathcote denied Dougie Fife the opportunity to go over on right and Anthony Foley's Munster were guilty of errors of their own throughout a frustrating first half for the home crowd.

Heathcote was unable to convert his next penalty and Solomons' side were temporarily reduced to 14 men when Tomas Leonardi was yellow-carded for a tip tackle on Simon Zebo.

Munster mauled up close from a lineout and the recycled ball was carried over by Stander.

Keatley missed the conversion and Edinburgh finished the first half strongly. Sam Beard's forward pass ruled out a try for Tim Visser before Heathcote split the posts with the final kick.

Hamish Watson became the second Edinburgh player sin-binned when he killed ball following a break by Zebo.

However, after Leonardi returned to the fray, Cuthbert's timely injection of pace helped him collect Beard's grubber kick to score in the right corner.

Stander replied, rolling his way over the try line having shrugged off Heathcote's initial tackle. Keatley missed the conversion but was then on target with a penalty.

The final 11 minutes featured a Heathcote place-kick wide and a third Edinburgh player carded in the shape of WP Nel.

And Keatley's night ended in disappointment when his long-range penalty narrowly missed.

Munster sustain a third straight loss at Thomond Park for the first time in the professional era.

Munster: Ronan O'Mahony; Andrew Conway, Johne Murphy, Andrew Smith, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; John Ryan, Kevin O'Byrne, BJ Botha; Donncha O'Callaghan (capt), Billy Holland, CJ Stander, Sean Dougall, Shane Buckley.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Alan Cotter, Stephen Archer, Dave Foley, Tommy O'Donnell, Cathal Sheridan, Johnny Holland, Ivan Dineen.

Edinburgh: Jack Cuthbert; Dougie Fife, Sam Beard, Andries Strauss, Tim Visser; Tom Heathcote, Sean Kennedy; Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (capt), John Andress, Fraser McKenzie, Ollie Atkins, Tomas Leonardi, Hamish Watson, Cornell Du Preez.

Replacements: James Hilterbrand, Rory Sutherland, W P Nel, Ben Toolis, Mike Coman, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Nick McLennan, Phil Burleigh.

Top Stories