Glasgow Warriors 22-20 Leinster

By Andy CampbellBBC Sport Scotland
Stuart Hogg converts a penalty for Glasgow Warriors against Leinster
Hogg's kick turned the match back in Glasgow's favour
Glasgow Warriors (19) 22
Tries: Horne, Gray, Strauss
Pen: Hogg Cons: Pyrgos 2
Leinster (3) 20
Tries: McGrath, Denton
Pens: Madigan, Gopperth Cons: Gopperth 2

Stuart Hogg's stoppage-time penalty gave Glasgow Warriors victory over defending Pro12 champions Leinster.

Tries from Peter Horne, Jonny Gray and captain Josh Strauss helped last season's runners-up into a 19-3 half-time advantage.

However, Jimmy Gopperth's penalty and converted scores from Jack McGrath and Tom Denton edged the Irish province into the lead by a single point.

Leinster were caught offside and Hogg knocked over to seal Glasgow's win.

And, after Edinburgh's impressive 14-13 win at Munster on Friday, both Scottish sides have four points from the first round of fixtures. Leinster have to settle for a losing bonus point.

The visitors, who beat Glasgow 34-12 in May's final, were dealt an early blow when injured Noel Reid had to be replaced by Ian Madigan.

Mark Bennett's first penalty attempt for the hosts travelled wide but a superb move gave Glasgow their first points.

Tommy Seymour received Henry Pyrgos's pass and off-loaded for Horne to cross. Pyrgos converted.

Gopperth was wide with his first penalty and further sustained phase rugby from Glasgow gave them the impetus for a second try.

Bennett made yards and the ball was recycled for Gray to plunge over. Pyrgos was unsuccessful with the conversion.

Josh Strauss scores a try for Glasgow Warriors against Leinster
Strauss touched down for Glasgow's third try

Unlike their well-crafted opening two scores, there was a touch of fortune about the third Warriors try as Strauss got the break of the ball off a tackle and sprinted unchallenged over the line. Pyrgos added the extras.

But Leinster quickly reduced their arrears when Madigan knocked over a penalty from the left.

The visitors' defence was pushed to its limits after a Gopperth kick was charged down by Fraser Brown and Glasgow's pressure eventually yielded a penalty that Pyrgos kicked just wide.

Gregor Townsend's side started the second half well and but for a couple of knock-ons would have added to their tally.

Gopperth brought Leinster back to within 13 points with his first successful penalty and Glasgow were forced to replace Horne with Sean Lamont after the fly-half appeared to sustain an ankle injury.

After Pyrgos's replacement Niko Matawalu was penalised, Leinster elected to kick into touch and it paid off with McGrath breaking off a maul to go over.

Suddenly Matt O'Connor's side were a converted try away from victory and they were handed their second score when Glasgow's replacement hooker Pat MacArthur overthrew his line-out to Denton near the line.

Gopperth's conversion edged Leinster into the lead for the first time.

But Glasgow still had time to recover and, after some intense pressure, Hogg converted a simple penalty to send the Warriors fans home happy.

Glasgow: Murchie, Seymour, Bennett, Dunbar, Jones, Horne, Pyrgos, Allan, Brown, Murray, Nakarawa, Gray, Harley, Fusaro, Strauss.

Replacements: Hogg for Dunbar (49), S. Lamont for Horne (55), Matawalu for Pyrgos (61), Reid for Allan (53), MacArthur for Brown (53), de Klerk for Murray (66), Swinson for Nakarawa (65), Ashe for Fusaro (61).

Leinster: Kirchner, McFadden, Macken, Reid, Fanning, Gopperth, Boss, Healy, Cronin, Ross, Marshall, M. McCarthy, Ryan, Jennings, O'Brien.

Replacements: Madigan for Reid (1), L. McGrath for Boss (66), J. McGrath for Healy (46), Furlong for Ross (53), Denton for Marshall (54), McLaughlin for Jennings (71). Not Used: Bryce, M. McGrath.

Att: 5,275.

Ref: Nigel Owens (Wales).

Top Stories