Premiership: Sale Sharks 46-8 London Welsh

Tom Arscott
Arscott has now scored four tries in three Premiership games this season
Sale Sharks (15) 46
Tries: Arscott 3, Cobilas, Brady, McLean
Pens: Cipriani 2 Cons: Cipriani 3 Ford 2
London Welsh (3) 8
Tries: Reynolds
Pens: Barkley

Sale Sharks secured their first win of the Premiership season with a bonus-point victory over London Welsh.

Tom Arscott and Vadim Cobilas both scored tries to help the hosts towards a commanding 15-3 lead at the break.

The Exiles, themselves winless since their promotion from the Championship, hit back when Nic Reynolds touched down after the interval.

But Arscott scored two more for his hat-trick, while Tom Brady and Luke McLean added extra gloss to the win.

The result ended a run of four home defeats in a row in all competitions for Sale - their worst sequence since moving to the AJ Bell Stadium - and extended London Welsh's wait for a first top-flight success since May 2013.

Arscott put the Sharks in front inside the opening three minutes, diving over in the left-hand corner to finish off a smart move for his second try of the season, but Danny Cipriani's conversion drifted wide.

Olly Barkley's penalty reduced the deficit to two points, but Sale touched down for a second time when Moldova prop Cobilas picked up and forced his way through, with Cipriani this time able to add the extras.

Dean Schofield was sin-binned shortly before the interval, for dragging down a maul, and Cipriani split the posts to extend the home side's advantage to 12.

The England number 10 kicked another three points just moments into the second period, but Sale were unable to further punish the visitors prior to Schofield's return to the field.

Welsh gave themselves hope when Reynolds went over down the right, although the try was only awarded after being reviewed by the television match official.

But Arscott's second score, following a sweeping move from right to left, all but settled the contest with a little over 10 minutes remaining, and Brady then touched down to secure the bonus point.

The Sharks ran riot in the closing stages, winger Arscott completing his treble with another good finish and McLean scoring with the final play of the match, to round off a miserable afternoon for London Welsh.

Sale director of rugby Steve Diamond:

"We stressed all week that the side that comes up will generally struggle with the pace of the game and we wanted to try and keep the intensity high.

"It wasn't a great performance by us, to be honest, but credit to them, they are very dogged and they're good at the set-piece, so we had to work hard for it.

"We're making some elementary errors - it's where we've been all year, we've just got to try and eradicate them.

"We come across Saracens, Northampton and Wasps in the next few weeks and, if you make those basic mistakes, it costs you dearly."

London Welsh head coach Justin Burnell:

"In crucial areas we made some mistakes early on and then all of a sudden it gets to a decisive moment and we have a crucial lapse in concentration.

"It's like anything - once they're on the front foot, their tails are up and the floodgates opened.

"It was the same old story - people dropping off, it's execution, it's skill and it's the individual errors - I think that was the biggest disappointment.

"At this level, the Premiership, you make a mistake and you will be penalised."

Sale Sharks: McLean; Brady, Addison, Leota, Arscott; Cipriani, Cusiter; Harrison, Mamukashvili, Cobilas; Mills, Paterson; Lund, Seymour, Easter.

Replacements: Neild, Di Marchi, Lewis-Roberts, Ostrikov, Fihaki, Cliff, Ford, Jennings.

London Welsh: Jewell; Stegmann, Reynolds, Molenaar, Scott; Barkley (capt), Weepu; Reeves, Britton, Vea; Schofield, Down; Browne, Thorpe, McCaffrey.

Replacements: Morris, Cahill, Gilding, Corker, Stedman, Lewis, Roberts, May.