Challenge Cup: Newcastle Falcons 43-19 Bucuresti Wolves

Chris Harris scores Newcastle's third try
Chris Harris scores Newcastle's third try
Newcastle Falcons (36) 43
Tries: Witty, Smith, Harris, Wilson, Penny 2, Nelson Cons: Clegg 3, Smith
Bucuresti Wolves (7) 19
Tries: Ionita, Botezatu 2 Cons: Samoa 2

Chris Harris was one of four players to score on their debut as Newcastle beat Bucuresti in the Challenge Cup.

Will Witty early's try was added to by Lee Smith and Harris, before Florin Ionita went over for the visitors.

Mark Wilson's score and two tries for Tom Penny saw Falcons open up a 29-point half-time lead.

Two quick Ionut Botezatu tries gave Bucuresti some momentum, but replacement David Nelson's effort made sure of a home victory.

Witty scored within two minutes after Dan Temm had pounced on a loose ball, and Smith soon powered over after the hosts moved the ball quickly from right to left, Rory Clegg converted to give Falcons a 12-point lead.

Harris charged over for Newcastle's third try and Clegg kicked the extras again, before the visitors got their first points on the board when Ionita's solo score was converted by Luke Samoa.

Newcastle hit back within two minutes through a Wilson try before debutant Penny went over twice before the break.

First, he nipped in on the left-hand side - Clegg converted - and then Penny darted over to give Falcons a 36-7 half-time lead.

Botezatu raced clear at the start of the second half to give Bucuresti the try they deserved for their performance. He was set up by a looping pass from Samoa, who completed the job by kicking the extras.

But, just as the visitors sensed a route back into the game, a brilliant drive from the Falcons resulted in Nelson barging over before Smith's kick wrapped up the win.

Newcastle Falcons: Smith; Catterick, Harris, Penny, Cato; Clegg, Fury; Wilson, Saull (capt), Temm; Barrow, Witty; Brookes, Hawkins, Fry.

Replacements: Nelson, Vickers, Tomaszczyk, Robinson, Mayhew, Davies, Willis, Hammersley.

Bucuresti: Samoa; Ionita, Dascalu, Gal (capt), Botezatu; Jantjies, Surugiu; Pristavita, Oancea, Badalicescu; Neacsu, Ageacai; Mototolea, Ailenei, Ene.

Replacements: Beca, Vasiliu, Dico, Mitu, Ailenei, Diaconescu, Vlaicu, Neagu.

Attendance: 3,855

Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland).