Premiership: Wasps 71-7 London Welsh

Christian Wade and Andy Goode
Christian Wade celebrates scoring a try with Andy Goode
Wasps (26) 71
Tries: Hughes 2, Johnson 3, Tagicakibau, Wade 3, Simpson, Varndell Cons: Goode 6, Lozowski 2
London Welsh (0) 7
Tries: Pienaar Cons: Robinson

Ashley Johnson and Christian Wade hat-tricks helped Wasps thrash London Welsh in their final Premiership game at Adams Park before moving to Coventry.

Wasps strolled to a 26-0 lead at half-time thanks to two tries from Nathan Hughes and one apiece by Johnson and Sailosi Tagicakibau.

Wade, Hughes and Joe Simpson went over for Wasps in the second half before Welsh's Ben Pienaar crossed.

But scores from Johnson, Tom Vardnell and Wade (2) completed the rout.

The thumping victory means Wasps start and end their league tenure at Adams Park with wins, having beaten Bristol 38-35 on their debut at the venue in 2002.

They move up to fifth in the table but Welsh find themselves bottom of the Premiership with only one point, and already look like a side consigned to relegation after conceding a mammoth 343 points.

Joe Simpson
Joe Simpson scores Wasps' sixth try of the afternoon against London Welsh

Wasps were boosted ahead of the match by the return of England flanker James Haskell from a virus, and they stormed into the lead in after two minutes when Hughes found a gap in the defence off an Exiles scrum and slid over.

Johnson added the second, driving in from a maul off a line-out, before Tagicakibau was on the end of a slick Wasps move.

Hughes then sauntered in for his second try and the bonus point after Welsh back Seb Jewell dropped a high ball, but Andy Goode missed his first conversion attempt of the afternoon.

The tries continued to flow after the break as Elliot Daly set up Wade to sprint home before great work from Simpson and Hughes laid in Johnson for his second try.

Wasps replacement lock Kearnan Myall then showed an incredible turn of pace to put in Simpson.

Ben Pienaar finally put the visitors on the scoresheet when he finished off Welsh's first real spell of pressure, but his side were soon on the backfoot again as Johnson touched down his hat-trick try after a maul.

Varndell then got in on the act with his fifth Premiership try in four games before two late scores from Wade made it 11 tries for the hosts.

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young:

"I was nervous coming into this match and I stressed to the players that we weren't to play too loosely.

"We responded as I wanted, playing with an excellent attitude to prove we have a killer instinct.

"We showed we have great quality in our squad and if we play like that we can trouble anyone."

London Welsh assistant coach Ollie Smith:

"They were very big, physical and very dynamic.

"We lost most of the collisions and with a back row like that, none of whom are currently playing international rugby, it is tremendously difficult.

"We lost players through injury and conceded soft tries but there is no lack of effort in our squad and we are mentally proud to be in the Premiership."

Wasps: Miller, Wade, Daly, C. Bell, Tagicakibau, Goode, Simpson, McIntyre, Shervington, Cooper-Woolley, Cannon, Gaskell, Johnson, Haskell, Hughes.

Replacements: Bliss for Simpson (64), Varndell for Daly (60), Yapp for McIntyre (60), Lozowski for Goode (60), Jones for Hughes (53), Myall for Cannon (53), Lindsay for Shervington (51), Cittadini for Cooper-Wooley (9).

London Welsh: Jewell, Stegmann, Reynolds, May, Scott, Robinson, R. Lewis, Henn, Britton, Vea, Corker, Down, P. Browne, McCaffrey, Hala'ufia.

Replacements: Awcock for Scott (31), Rowley for R. Lewis (73), Vella for Britton (72), Cooper for Vea (66), Pienaar for Corker (57), Fonua for Hala'ufia (25), Cahill for Henn (1).

Not Used: Ross.

Att: 9,842