Premiership: Sale Sharks 30-32 Leicester Tigers

Julian Salvi celebrates try
Leicester Tigers have now won their last 10 games against Sale Sharks
Sale Sharks: (25) 30
Tries: Cusiter, Addison, Hines, Tuitupou Cons: Cipriani 2 Pens: Cipriani 2
Leicester Tigers: (15) 32
Tries: Bai, Tait, Benjamin, Salvi Cons: Burns 2, Williams Pens: Burns, Williams

Julian Salvi's late converted try gave Leicester Tigers a superb bonus-point comeback win at Sale Sharks.

Chris Cusiter, Will Addison and Nathan Hines crossed to give the hosts a 25-15 half-time lead, with Seremaia Bai and Mathew Tait scoring for Tigers.

Sam Tuitupou put Sale 30-15 up before Miles Benjamin crossed for Tigers.

Owen Williams' kick brought the deficit down to five, and, after Addison was sin-binned, Salvi crossed in the 79th minute and Williams converted.

Addison's 75th-minute sin-bin - for a technical infringement - proved crucial as Tigers ended Sale's four-game Premiership winning streak in remarkable fashion and dented the hosts' push for the top four in front of a record crowd of 11,247 at the AJ Bell.

Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill will be delighted his side recovered from last week's defeat by fierce rivals Northampton as they moved up to fifth place.

Sale v Leicester crowd
The attendance at the AJ Bell beat the ground's previous record of 10,092, when Sale played Leicester on 3 May earlier this year

Cockerill had made eight changes after that loss, but Sale got off the mark first, with Scotland international Cusiter squeezing into a tight space down the blindside to put Sharks ahead.

In a lively opening, Bai, who had been out with injury since the opening day of the season, went over for his first Tigers try after Dan Cole and Salvi had gone close.

Mike Haley had a try ruled out for Sharks but Danny Cipriani kicked over a penalty soon after, before Tigers back Tait went over in the corner against his old club, given after the television match official ruled his feet had stayed in play.

Straight off the restart, Johnny Leota ran at the Tigers defence and set up Addison to cross for 15-12, before Burns kicked his side level.

But with Tigers down to 14 men for Jamie Gibson's sin-bin for a cynical infringement at the contact area, and after another Cipriani penalty, Hines crashed over from close range just left of the posts for the Sharks on the stroke of half-time.

After the break, Sharks centre Tuitupou picked up the ball from a ruck and ran down the blindside unopposed by any Leicester defenders for an easy finish to make it 30-15.

Leicester made a triple change and it looked to have paid off when Tait played outside to Benjamin and the former Worcester winger dived over the line - with the try given after replays.

Williams' penalty for failing to roll away brought Tigers to within a try of Sharks.

And after Addison had been sent to the bin, Salvi got the ball over the line and Williams converted to give his side an unlikely win.

Sharks earned some consolation by picking up two bonus points for scoring four tries and losing by fewer than seven points.

Sale Sharks: Haley; Addison, Leota, Tuitupou, Cueto; Cipriani, Cusiter; Lewis-Roberts, Jones, Cobilas; Mills, Hines; Lund, Seymour, Braid (capt).

Replacements: Mamukashvili, de Marchi, Harrison, Ostrikov, Easter, Cliff, Ford, Jennings.

Leicester: Bell; Tait, Goneva, Allen, Benjamin; Burns, B. Youngs (capt); Rizzo, Ghiraldini, Cole; Kitchener, Parling; Gibson, Salvi, Crane.

Replacements: T. Youngs, Ayerza, Balmain, De Chaves, Barbieri, Harrison, Williams, Bai.

Top Stories