Premiership: Saracens 22-6 London Irish

By Andrew AloiaBBC Sport
David Strettle scores his second try against London Irish
David Strettle scored 11 Premiership tries for Saracens last season
Saracens (11) 22
Tries: Strettle 2 Pens: Farrell 4
London Irish (0) 6
Pens: Homer 2

England winger David Strettle scored his first Premiership tries since the opening day of the season as Saracens overcame London Irish at Allianz Park.

Strettle's first try and two Owen Farrell penalties put the hosts 11-0 up at half-time.

Tom Homer, who missed an early shot at the posts for Irish, responded by kicking two penalties after the break.

Farrell added another two penalties for Sarries before Strettle spun over for his second try to ensure victory.

The triumph extends Saracens' winning run to five matches and sees them move to within four points of second-placed Bath in the Premiership table.

Defeat leaves London Irish in 11th place after Newcastle Falcons claimed losing and four-try bonus points in their 39-31 loss against leaders Northampton Saints on Friday.

Homer had a chance to open the scoring on 17 minutes after Sarries were caught offside, but the full-back was off target with his kick.

In difficult, slippery conditions the game's first points came from the boot of Farrell, with the England fly-half teeing up two three-pointers before Strettle grabbed the opening try.

Good work from Mako Vunipola, Farrell and Nick Tomkins helped send the winger over for his first Premiership try since scoring a hat-trick against Wasps on 6 September.

Homer put the Exiles on the board with his first successful kick before adding another three points following good work from winger Alex Lewington, who burst out of defence and fended off Strettle to put Irish in a strong position.

Ben Ramsom's breakaway run for the hosts eventually saw Irish give away another penalty for failing to release.

Farrell was on target for a third time before adding another kick to restore Saracens' 11-point advantage with more than 20 minutes remaining.

Impressive handling from the home side saw Strettle cut in off the right and twist his way over for his second touchdown, with Ransom finding the winger lurking out wide with a quick offload.

Although Mark McCall's Saracens side threatened to go over again, London Irish's defence held firm.

Saracens: Ransom; Wyles, Tompkins, Taylor, Strettle; Farrell, De Kock; M Vunipola, George, Du Plessis; Kruis, Hargreaves (capt); Wray, Burger, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Sharman, Barrington, Johnston, Itoje, Brown, Spencer, Mordt, Streather.

London Irish: Homer; Ojo, Mulchrone, Sheridan, Lewington; Geraghty, Steele; Court, Allen, Cross; Skivington (capt), Rouse; Low, Gilsenan, Treviranus.

Replacements: Palframan, Halavatau, Aulika, Cox, Guest, O'Leary, Dorrian, Fenby.

Attendance: 9,306

Referee: Tim Wigglesworth