European Challenge Cup: NG Dragons 30-19 Stade Francais

Newport Gwent Dragons full-back Tom Prydie kicked 17 of his side's points against Stade Francais
Newport Gwent Dragons full-back Tom Prydie kicked 17 of his side's points against Stade Francais
Newport Gwent Dragons (22) 30
Tries: Dee, Thomas Con: Prydie Pens: Prydie (5), Jones
Stade Francais (7) 19
Tries: Inu, Zhvania, Bonfils Cons: Steyn (2)

Newport Gwent Dragons secured a European Challenge Cup home quarter-final with a convincing win over Stade Francais in Pool 3.

The Welsh side raced into a 16-0 lead after 22 minutes thanks to an Elliot Dee try and Tom Prydie's boot.

Stade hit back with tries from centre Krisna Inu and hooker Zurabi Zhvania either side of the break.

T Rhys Thomas' try looked to have sealed it for Dragons, although Remi Bonfils' score ensured a nervy ending.

Lyn Jones' side started strongly, punishing the French side's ill-discipline and Dragons were in front in the first minute from a Prydie penalty.

Three minutes later hooker Dee crashed over from a driving line-out with Prydie adding the conversion.

The winger was deadly with the boot, extending the Welsh side's lead further with two more penalties.

Ten minutes before the break centre Inu broke through to give Stade some hope, with Steyn converting, but two further penalties from Prydie saw the Dragons lead 22-7 at half-time.

Georgian hooker Zhvania crashed over from a driving line-out to cut the Dragons' advantage to 10 points.

The Welsh side pushed forward to make the game safe.

Prop Phil Price spurned a great opportunity but spilled Dorian Jones' pass with the line at his mercy, after Tyler Morgan had gathered Prydie's chip into Stade's 22.

Replacement hooker Thomas scored from a driving line-out to make it 27-12 with 20 minutes to go, but Prydie missed the conversion.

Nine minutes later Stade hit back with Stade hooker Bonfils becoming the fourth player to score from a driving line-out in the match.

Springbok Steyn added the conversion to make it 27-19.

The French side pushed forward to try and claw back the deficit, but the Dragons held out and full-back Rhys Jones kicked a penalty at the death.


Dragons: Geraint Rhys Jones; Tom Prydie, Tyler Morgan, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos; Dorian Jones, Jonathan Evans; Phil Price, Elliot Dee, Brok Harris, James Thomas, Rynard Landman (capt), Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: T Rhys Thomas, Lloyd Fairbrother, Dan Way, Cory Hill, Ian Gough, Luc Jones, Angus O'Brien, Ashton Hewitt.

Stade Francais: Paul Williams; Titouan Cazedepats , Geoffrey Doumayrou (capt), Krisnan Inu ,Digby Ioane; Morné Steyn, Julien Dupuy ; Romain Frou, Zurabi Zhvania, Davit Kubriashvili, Paul Gabrillagues , Juan Cruz Guillemain, Matthieu Ugena, Mathieu De Giovanni , Nicolas Garrault.

Replacements: Sofiane Chellat , Zak Taulafo, Adrien Oleon, Julien Nibert, Remi Bonfils Luc Jones, Julien Tomas, Vincent Mallet, Raphael Lakafia.

Referee: Matthew Carley

Top Stories