Six Nations 2015: Adam Jones's Wales omission a mistake - Price
|RBS Six Nations: Scotland v Wales|
|Venue: Murrayfield, Edinburgh Date: Sunday, 15 February Kick-off: 15:00 GMT Coverage: Live on BBC TV, HD, Red Button, Radio 5 live, BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru, the BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer, S4C online, mobile, the BBC Sport app and Connected TV; text commentary on the BBC Sport website.|
Ex-Wales prop Graham Price says Samson Lee's absence proves Warren Gatland made a mistake by not selecting Adam Jones in the original Six Nations squad.
Prop Lee, 22, was concussed in the defeat by England and was replaced by Aaron Jarvis for the Scotland game.
Jones quit international rugby after being overlooked for the Championship.
"I think this is where Gatland has really shot himself in the foot," Price said.
"He hasn't got a real ready-made replacement to come in.
"Aaron Jarvis is not a bad player for the Ospreys but he's not of the same sort of level as Samson Lee.
"What Gatland should have done was to have picked Adam Jones in the squad for situations such as this."
Scarlets tight-head Lee suffered his concussion in the Six Nations opener at the Millennium Stadium, but had been included in the starting XV subject to him successfully passing the sport's return-to-play protocol.
However, he failed to complete the final component of the test with Jarvis drafted into the starting line-up and Scott Andrews added to the replacements bench.
Attack coach Rob Howley says Wales did not consider calling 33-year-old Jones to solve their front row crisis.
Jones, who made 95 appearances for Wales and also toured with the British and Irish Lions, retired from international rugby in January.
The former Ospreys player was left out of Wales' Six Nations squad, having also been omitted for the 2014 autumn series.
"We respect players' decisions and Adam has retired from international rugby," Howley said.
"If Adam had made the call to Warren, I'm not too sure, but I'm unaware of that."