Pro12: Ulster 25-20 Scarlets

Ulster come from seven points down to beat the Scarlets 25-20 in the Pro12 match at Kingspan Stadium.
Ulster (6) 25
Tries: Gilroy, L Marshall, Pienaar Pens: Pienaar 2 Cons: Pienaar 2
Scarlets (13) 20
Try: Barclay, K Phillips Pens: S Shingler 2 Cons: Shingler 2

Ulster scored three tries in the second half to seal victory over the Scarlets in Friday's Pro12 match in Belfast.

The Llanelli side scored the only try of the first period when flanker John Barclay intercepted to charge through.

Ulster were much better after the break and produced tries in the third quarter through Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall and Ruan Pienaar.

Ulster pressed for the bonus point score but Kristian Philips scored the game's final try for the Scarlets.

It was Ulster's fourth win in a row in the Pro12 and put them level on points with Glasgow at the top of the Pro12 standings.

"We are on a nice little run coming towards a crucial part of the season," said skipper Roger Wilson.

"We had to be patient but in the second half we managed to up the tempo and stretched them a bit."

Fly-halves Pienaar and Steve Shingler exchanged two penalties apiece before Barclay intercepted a pass by Ian Humphreys to score the opening try five minutes before the interval.

Three Ulster tries in an impressive 14-minute spell turned a seven-point deficit into a lead of 12.

Winger Gilroy scored Ulster's first try in the 46th minute, collecting the ball and setting off on a typically mazy run to beat three defenders and score in the right corner.

Pienaar could not land the difficult conversion but Ulster had hope, trailing by just two points.

The hosts then took the lead for the first time. After Rob Herring won an impressive turnover, Humphreys found Marshall running a strong line and he barged over.

Pienaar converted and Ulster led 18-13 after 51 minutes.

The South African scored a 59th minute try and converted it himself to stretch the advantage to 12 points.

Ulster looked to be heading for a bonus-point win but it was the Welsh side who produced the final try, with replacement Phillips capping the final attack of the evening.

Ulster: Ludik, Gilroy, Cave, Marshall, Allen, Humphreys, Pienaar; Black, Herring, Herbst, Tuohy, van der Merwe, Wilson, Ross, N Williams

Replacements: Andrew, Warwick, Ross, Stevenson, McComish, Marshall, Stanley, Scholes

Scarlets: J Williams, Robinson, King, Parkes, Tagicakibau, Shingler, A. Davies; John, Owens, Edwards, Earle, Rawlins, Shingler, J Davies, Barclay

Replacements: Elias, R. Thomas, Leung, Payne, McCusker, G Davies, A Warren, K Phillips

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Top Stories