Pro12: Cardiff Blues 21-15 Edinburgh

Ellis Jenkins breaks through the Edinburgh defence
Ellis Jenkins scored Cardiff Blues' second try against Edinburgh
Cardiff Blues (14) 21
Tries: Williams, Jenkins, Patchell Con: Patchell 3
Edinburgh (0) 15
Tries: Visser, Grant Con: Heathcote Pens: Heathcote

Cardiff Blues ended a difficult week with a much needed Pro12 win over Edinburgh at Cardiff Arms Park.

Director of rugby Mark Hammett left the region during the week after only six months in charge.

Lloyd Williams and Ellis Jenkins's converted tries gave the home side a 14-0 lead at the break.

Rhys Patchell added a third try in the second half in between tries from Tim Visser and Roddy Grant for Edinburgh.

Paul John and Dale McIntosh were at the helm for the Blues after being placed in temporary charge following Hammett's departure.

After an error-strewn start to the game, Patchell had the first chance for points but his penalty attempt sailed wide.

The outside-half soon had another opportunity to kick at goal but this time Blues elected for an attacking line-out and were rewarded with the first try.

Blues won the line-out and drove to put the opposition defence on the back foot, which allowed Williams to spot a gap and race over with Patchell converting.

Coach John relieved after Blues win

Blues suffered a blow when their number eight, Manoa Vosawai ,was yellow-carded for a high tackle on Te Rure but Edinburgh failed to capitalise as the resulting penalty saw Te Rure's easy kick rebound back off a post.

Edinburgh captain Mike Coman soon followed Vosawai into the sin-bin before Blues scored their second try.

From a ruck 15 metres out, Williams and Tom Isaacs combined cleverly to send Jenkins over, with Patchell adding the extras for a 14-0 half-time lead.

Corey Allen departed at the interval with an injury while Tom Heathcote, after replacing Jade Te Rure, put Edinburgh on the scoreboard after 44 minutes with a penalty.

The Edinburgh pack began to dominate the set pieces, pinning the hosts in their own half. Neil Cochrane's drive for the line seemed to have brought reward but the try was ruled out.

The visitors were not to be denied for long as Visser ran straight between the Cardiff centres for an excellent solo try, which Heathcote converted to put the visitors right back into the game.

But Blues responded with a sustained movement, which ended with Patchell crossing in the corner for a try which he also converted.

Josh Turnbull became the second Blues player to be sent to the bin and moments later Grant finished off a line-out drive to close the gap to six points and set up an exciting final 10 minutes.

However, Blues just held on, helped by a late yellow card for Edinburgh wing Dougie Fife, to secure their fifth league win of the season.

Cardiff Blues: Joaquin Tuculet, Richard Smith, Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Tom Isaacs, Rhys Patchell, Lloyd Williams; Sam Hobbs, Matthew Rees (c), Adam Jones, Filo Paulo, Jarrad Hoeata, Josh Turnbull, Ellis Jenkins, Manoa Vosawai. Replacements: Kristian Dacey, Thomas Davies, Taufa'ao Filise, Lou Reed, Macauley Cook, Tavis Knoyle, Gareth Davies, Adam Thomas.

Edinburgh: Jack Cuthbert, Dougie Fife, Sam Beard, Phil Burleigh, Tim Visser, Jade Te Rure, Grayson Hart, Rory Sutherland, Neil Cochrane, WP Nel, Ollie Atkins, Anton Bresler, Mike Coman (C), Roddy Grant, David Denton. Replacements: Stuart McInally, Grant Shiells, John Andress, Fraser McKenzie, Hugh Blake, Nathan Fowles, Tom Heathcote, Andries Strauss.

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU)

Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Neil Hennessy (WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)

TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)