Pro12: Scarlets 22-12 Ulster

Media playback is not supported on this device

Highlights: Scarlets 22-12 Ulster
Scarlets (9) 22
Tries: Parkes Cons: D Jones Pens: D Jones 5
Ulster (0) 12
Tries: Scholes, Penalty try Con: McCloskey

Scarlets survived having three players sent to the sin-bin for the second week in succession to beat Ulster in their Pro12 encounter at Parc y Scarlets.

Pete Edwards, John Barclay and George Earle were all shown yellow, but Scarlets remained mostly in control.

Fly-half Dan Jones kicked 17 points, with Hadleigh Parkes scoring a try.

Ulster threatened a comeback when Rory Scholes crossed before being awarded a penalty try, but a late Jones penalty denied them even a losing bonus point.

Scarlets, unchanged from their opening win at champions Glasgow, started brightly and Parkes almost squeezed in at the right corner after a flowing Scarlets counter-attack, but Scholes just dragged his opposite winger into touch.

Fly-half Jones kept the scoreboard ticking over for the home side, though, with three penalties.

John Barclay was one of three Scarlets players sent to the sin-bin
John Barclay was one of three Scarlets players sent to the sin-bin

But the disciplinary problems that saw Scarlets finish last week's win at Scotstoun with three men in the sin-bin continued, with prop Edwards yellow-carded three minutes before half-time for not using his arms in the tackle.

Referee Andrew Brace had already issued a warning for the same offence to scrum-half Aled Davies and this time reached for his pocket.

But Ulster - so impressive against Welsh opposition last week when beating Ospreys at home - were not able to take full advantage of the indiscretion, as Stuart McCloskey skewed the resulting penalty wide of the right-hand post.

Instead Scarlets continued to dominate and Jones missed a penalty soon after the restart, but kicked a brilliant touchline conversion soon after when Parkes claimed a try.

Scarlets' forwards sucked in the Ulster defence before the ball was spread wide by fly-half Jones to Gareth Owen, who fixed the last defender before sending his winger over for a try.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Ulster coach Neil Doak was critical of his side's performance

Stung into action, Ulster at last maintained pressure in the Scarlets 22 and the home side had number eight Barclay sin-binned for slowing possession at a ruck.

This time the visitors made their numerical advantage count and wing Scholes twisted through James Davies' tackle to score an unconverted try in the left corner.

Jones added a fourth penalty but Ulster, encouraged by their earlier success, continued to go through the phases.

Another try-line struggle saw Scarlets replacement lock Earle collapse a maul, give up a penalty try - converted by McCloskey - and earn himself 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

But with time running out, Ulster fly-half Peter Nelson was caught trying to run the ball out of defence, conceding a penalty that opposite number Jones tucked away to give Scarlets victory and deny the visitors a losing bonus point.


Scarlets: Steffan Evans; Hadleigh Parkes, Regan King, Gareth Owen, Tom Williams; Daniel Jones, Aled Davies; Phil John, Emyr Phillips, Peter Edwards, Tom Price, Lewis Rawlins, Aaron Shingler, James Davies, John Barclay.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rob Evans, Will Taylor, George Earle, Rory Pitman, Kieran Hardy, Aled Thomas, Ioan Nicholas.

Ulster: Louis Ludik; Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes; Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (capt), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Franco Van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Willie Faloon, Nick Williams.

Replacements: John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, David Busby.

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU)

Assistant Referees: Neil Hennessy, Justin Williams (both WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)

TMO: J Mason (WRU)

Top Stories