Ospreys' Dan Biggar 'ecstatic' with two points despite Clermont defeat

Dan Biggar drops a goal against Clermont Auvergne
Dan Biggar scored nine points with a drop-goal and three conversions against Clermont Auvergne

Dan Biggar says Ospreys are "ecstatic" after claiming an unlikely two bonus points in their 34-29 Champions Cup defeat at Clermont Auvergne.

The Welsh region trailed 34-17 with two minutes to play before Sam Parry and Tom Habberfield scored brilliant tries.

Fly-half Biggar said Ospreys had "pulled a rabbit out of a hat" with try-scoring and losing bonus points.

"If you'd have given us two points beforehand we'd have certainly taken it," said the Wales international.

"Looking back on the game we're probably a bit disappointed that we didn't get a win, but all in all we're ecstatic with two points."

The result saw Ospreys regain top spot in Pool 2, ahead of last season's runners-up Clermont, who have played only one game, and Exeter Chiefs.

European rugby bonus points
A side is awarded a bonus point for scoring four or more tries during a match.
A losing side receives a bonus point if their losing margin in seven points or less.

Ospreys beat Exeter on the opening weekend when Clermont's match against Bordeaux-Begles was postponed following the Paris terrorist attacks.

Clermont have not lost at home in European competition since 2008, and looked to be coasting as they led 20-3 at half time.

Ospreys recovered to 20-17 before Clermont re-established their dominance with tries by David Strettle and Wesley Fofana before the Welsh side's grandstand finish.

Tom Habberfield scores for the Ospreys despite Nick Abendanon's tackle
Tom Habberfield's last-minute try was Ospreys' fourth and brought them to within seven points of Clermont, earning his side two bonus points.

Reduced to 14-men with Sam Davies in the sin-bin, Justin Tipuric set-up Parry's last-minute try, with Biggar missing an attempted drop-goal conversion to allow his side enough time to mount one more attack.

And it was Biggar himself who gave the scoring pass to Habberfield, who sprinted clear to score after Ospreys attacked from deep in their own 22 from the restart.

"We glanced at the clock and thought there was 30 seconds left," Biggar added.

"The conversion didn't matter, so just regardless of what happened just got it dead and give ourselves a chance and happily we took it.

"Maybe they switched off at the last kick off, but we've sort of stuck at it and managed to pull a a rabbit out of a hat really and score at the end."

Biggar praised the match - which saw both teams score four tries - as a "great occasion of European rugby".

He claimed the Ospreys' policy was always to aim to score four tries, which was why they spurned three kicks at goal in favour of lineouts in the first-half.

"It was one of those in which we thought we're not going to come here and cling on and get a bonus point by kicking penalties," he explained.

"Not many teams have come here and lost 12-9 or something like that.

"We've made a bold decision and luckily it paid off in the end and we've managed to pick up two points."