Glasgow Warriors 11-14 Edinburgh

By Tom EnglishBBC Scotland at Murrayfield
Michael Allen in possession for Edinburgh
Michael Allen carries for Edinburgh against Glasgow Warriors' Jonny Gray
Glasgow Warriors: (8) 11
Try: Bennett Pens: Weir 2
Edinburgh: (6) 14
Try: Burleigh Pens: Hidalgo-Clyne 3

Phil Burleigh's late try gave Edinburgh back-to-back wins and clinched the 1872 Cup against Glasgow Warriors.

With seven minutes left Alan Solomons' team trailed to a Mark Bennett try and six points from Duncan Weir to three penalties for Sam Hidalgo-Clyne.

Burleigh's score put Edinburgh 14-11 in front and Glasgow piled on massive pressure in the game's dying embers but could not break a mighty home defence.

Edinburgh go fourth, while Pro12 holders Glasgow remain eighth.

Gregor Townsend's side made an impressive start, stung by the inconvenience of having to play in Edinburgh's backyard for the second time in a week on account of their own pitch at Scotstoun being waterlogged.

Weir banged over an early penalty and it was then that Edinburgh's problems out of touch began in earnest. The home side lost three of their own line-outs inside the first 15 minutes, a lack of accuracy that Glasgow could not capitalise on.

Indeed, two Hidalgo-Clyne penalties put Edinburgh 6-3 ahead before a fourth lineout went astray.

What Edinburgh had in abundance was a dogged defence. They were quick and thunderous, hitting Glasgow hard and often.

The visitors had all the ball but the ferocity and organisation of the Edinburgh defence was too much for them. Glasgow went through the phases but went nowhere. Then the mistakes came and the head-wreck continued.

Mark Bennett scores for Glasgow Warriors
Mark Bennett scored the opening try for Glasgow Warriors

They made their breakthrough just after the half-hour when patience inside Edinburgh's 22 saw a gap open up and in scampered Bennett for the score. Weir missed a kickable conversion.

The war of attrition carried on. It was intense but ugly stuff. All the ball-players were frozen out, almost redundant in the battle.

Edinburgh lost another lineout at the start of the second half, a lack of accuracy that was added to when Hidalgo-Clyne missed with a penalty attempt. Weir slotted one just before the hour to put Glasgow 11-6 ahead.

A sixth Edinburgh lineout went south, but their malfunction did not stop Hidalgo-Clyne making it 11-9 after the home pack won a scrum penalty.

Edinburgh found some precision with their lineout when they needed it most. They put a penalty to touch, secured ball and moved it to the other side of the Murrayfield pitch. After some ponderous phases, Burleigh went through a non-tackle from Stuart Hogg for the winning score.


Glasgow Warriors: Stuart Hogg, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Mark Bennett, Peter Horne, Sean Lamont, Duncan Weir, Ali Price; Gordon Reid, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Greg Peterson, Jonny Gray (captain), Ryan Wilson, Chris Fusaro, Josh Strauss.

Replacements: Shalva Mamukashvili, Ryan Grant, Sila Puafisi, Leone Nakarawa, Hugh Blake; Grayson Hart, Peter Murchie, Lee Jones.

Edinburgh: Jack Cuthbert, Dougie Fife, Michael Allen, Matt Scott, Damien Hoyland, Phil Burleigh, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne; Rory Sutherland, Ross Ford, WP Nel, Anton Bresler, Ben Toolis, Mike Coman (captain), John Hardie, Cornell Du Preez.

Replacements: Neil Cochrane, Allan Dell, John Andress, Alex Toolis, Jamie Ritchie, Sean Kennedy, Greig Tonks, Andries Strauss.