Pro12: Munster 21-30 Scarlets

Pro12 highlights: Munster 21-30 Scarlets
Pro 12: Munster v Scarlets
Munster (21) 21
Tries: Taute, Sweetnam, Oliver Cons: Bleyendaal 3
Scarlets (6) 30
Tries: Parkes, McNicholl, Williams Cons: D. Jones 3 Pens: D. Jones 3

Scarlets boosted their play-off hopes with a stunning comeback victory over Pro12 leaders Munster at Thomond Park.

Converted tries from Jaco Taute, Darren Sweetnam and Conor Oliver gave Munster a 21-6 half-time lead, with Dan Jones booting two penalties for the Welshmen.

Scarlets got their running game going in the third quarter, pouncing for quick-fire tries from Hadleigh Parkes, Johnny McNicholl and Tom Williams.

Jones kicked a penalty and added all three conversions.

It was only the second ever win for Scarlets at the Limerick venue as Munster suffered their first defeat in nine league matches.

Jones opens the scoring

Munster's Tyler Bleyendaal is halted by a tackle from Scarlets replacement Aled Thomas
Munster's Tyler Bleyendaal is halted by a tackle from Scarlets replacement Aled Thomas

The hosts gave away a cheap three points in the second minute, Taute's knock-on leading to Jones splitting the posts, and further handling errors blighted the province's early attacks.

A high-quality 12th-minute try got Munster on the right road, Tyler Bleyendaal's inviting offload and Dave O'Callaghan's cleverly-angled run seeing the big flanker hauled down just short before Francis Saili's long pass set up Taute for the left corner.

Bleyendaal's curling conversion was answered by Jones' second successful penalty, but Munster were clinical again entering the second quarter, pressing from a maul and then a string of passes freed up Sweetnam for a seven-pointer out wide.

Former Leinster lock Tadhg Beirne was crucial in thwarting another Munster maul, however a Dan Goggin break saw the province surge back into the 22 and number eight Oliver took advantage of a gap to run in his second senior try.

Playing with the wind on the restart, Wayne Pivac's side made gradual inroads with fly-half Jones converting the second of two penalty attempts. But they soon burst into life, with Aled Davies making a timely impact off the bench.

Three-try burst

A blistering six-minute spell that yielded three tries started with centre Parkes touching down from Davies' well-placed kick over the top.

Fellow New Zealander McNicholl then showed his pace on a brilliant 40-metre run-in and with Bleyendaal shooting up out of the line, Jones' long pass put winger Williams over in the right corner.

The Scarlets number 10 added a cracking conversion to Williams' 61st-minute score, suddenly putting Munster nine points in arrears.

Staring at their first Thomond Park loss of the season, the hosts improved late on but Scarlets' sturdy defence held firm despite Saili and Dave Kilcoyne both going close to tries.

Munster: Taute, Sweetnam, Saili, Goggin, R. O'Mahony, Bleyendaal, Williams, Kilcoyne, Marshall, Archer, Foley, B. Holland, D. O'Callaghan, O'Donnell, Oliver.

Replacements: O'Byrne, McCabe, Scott, D. O'Shea, Wycherley, Griesel, Keatley, Conway.

Scarlets: McNicholl, van der Merwe, S. Hughes, Parkes, T. Williams, D. Jones, J. Evans, W. Jones, Elias, Kruger, Price, Beirne, Shingler, J. Davies, Boyde.

Replacements: D. Hughes, Garrett, N. Thomas, Bernardo, Allen, A. Davies, A. Thomas, Nicholas.

Ref: Daniel Jones (Wales).

Top Stories